Johnson 9.9 overheating

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mr Twister, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    OK...I bought a boat. It has a 1998 Johnson 9.9 on it. It hadn't run for a while, so I had the impeller replaced. I took it out for the first trip Tuesday. After running for about 30 min, I stopped and put it in neutral so we could get ready to troll. While we were gearing up, my hot light and alarm went off...motor wasn't pumping water. We let it cool down, blew the water-out tube out, and tried it again. It pumped fine for a few minutes, but then began to sputter, and the alarm/light came on again. Shut it down and brought it home. We took it apart and the impeller is fine, what else might cause the motor to overheat, and the water to quit being pumped through?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I never do the water ump without doing the thermostat.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Take a good look at the spark plugs also for the lack of carbon build up. Do a compression check to be sure you don't have a blown head gasket.

4. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    Thanks BP...we'll give it a look and let you know...luck for me the weather here in Ohio is not very good. If it were great and my new boat wasn't ready I'd be going nuts. 30's-40's though with wind and rain have left the boat parked anyway.

5. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    It has brand new plugs

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Bubba, that's got to be one of the best sites out there on any one specific motor. I keep forgetting about it.