Johnson 60hp 1992 need help troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by evilfud, Aug 19, 2009.

1. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    So hello everyone i recently purchased a 1992 lowe 1620 deep v with a Johnson 60hp motor. It has 190 hours on it and looks like it has been taken well care of.

My problem is this. I have had it out already a handfull of times just going to and from spots with no problem.
    The other day i tried trolling for the first time and after about 30 minutes or so a warning sound went off if i remember correctly it wasnt the solid beep and it had a small pause like 5 seconds.

I shut the engine off and back on and it did it again in a little bit. I thought maybe it just didnt like the slow trolling so i thought i would run it faster a bit and when i did that it got going and started cutting in and out almost in a rythmic timing.

I ran it at home for a little bit trying to replicate the alarm so i could better describe it and it did not go off again.

So i went to the local Marina and got a new fuel primer bulb,engine connection and fuel filter and installed them and primed and started the boat. It ran fine actually throttled very good better than normal (normally it is rough getting it to throttle right from the start it dies going in to gear) i let it run for about 5 minutes and put it in neutral and it died and will not turn over now it tries but just wont start. The battery is good water pump is pumping and i dont know what to check now. Can anyone give me some ideas of what to try and do?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That buzzer/horn sound probably was the temperature overheating switch. If your motor is not turning over, I would almost imagine it is frozen.

Disconnect the battery, remove the spark plugs and hold something like a brand new lead pencil (screwdriver will work also) in the plug hole while you manually rotate the fly wheel. Question is... does the piston move back and forth in the cylinder. If it does, do a compression check. If the rings are shot and you have low compression, it probably won't start. If the compression is out of tolerance (less than or great her than 10 psi per cylinder) your possibly looking at a rebuild. If you have good compression, test for the spark...you can get a tester at an auto parts store for about $7.00 and it will last for years). Got spark? Check all fuel lines for fuel delivery to the carbs. Remove the drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl, drain the fuel, replace the screw and again turn the engine over... remove the screw and see if you have gas in the bowl.

3. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Thanks bud as soon as it clears up outside i will try those things out.

Chris

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Check compression, fuel, and spark. and give 'er a good visual look over for loose/frayed wires and such things. after that, start looking at coils and trigger modules and those components... There might not be a real good fool proof way for ya to check the ign. sys components without trying the part- which means ya gotta buy it first. Tip: even if you have spark don't nessarly mean mean a module, coil etc. isnt bad.
    If the engine has time on it, and is solid otherwise... might be wise to replace module, coils, etc anyway.... as you replace stuff, do it as a process of elimination,,, that way you'll find the bad part and can keep the old for spares out on the river... just in case.

5. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
  6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im not much on the newer motors but here is what i would try. usually the carb(slow speed jet) needs adjusted when they die,putting into gear like that. if its fuel injected disregard this post, i dont fool with those motors.lol as for the alarm it was probably the oil injector alarm or temp like said? i dont know if one is constant and the other is pulse though. if it wont turn over it could be froze but im sure you would have noticed the heat and steam coming from it after it stopped! it could have also been hydrolicked(sp?) thats when the cylinders get flooded and it wont move, because you cant compress liquid. if thats the case it will turn over after you let sit or remove the plugs(off the wires too, so you dont start a fire!) and hit the key.

good luck on your diagnosis.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    VRO pump with an oil tank?

That was not an overheat alarm, possibly a low or no oil alarm.

8. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Ok i have removed the plugs and checked for piston movement and they are moving. How do i do a compression check? I am going to get the spark tester now and see if im getting spark. I also am not sure i can find this screw your talking about near the bottom of the carbs.

Thanks,
    Chris

9. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Ok now i checked for spark and all 3 got no spark according to my tester. So where does this leave me?

10. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How did you check the spark? I take the spark plug out leaving it on the wire and have it about 7/16 away from the head. Do this on all cylinders that way it doesn't start (running on all but 1 cylinder). You'll know if its sparking that way. If you are using a tester the tester could be bad but this way always works as long as you have somebody to crank on it while you watch.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There is a black with a yellow stripe wire hooked to the junction board on the motor. Take it loose and see if you have spark. If you do the trouble lies in your switch.

12. slikwiska

slikwiska New Member

State:
    northern IN
    Hey evilfud, Im a marine tech from northern In...according to the manual a continuous horn indicates an overheat, short beeps, 2 secs. on 2 secs. off, represents NO oil and a short beep every 30 or 40 secs. is LOW oil. Verifying oil consumption when it was running would have been crucial. Now it seems you have lost spark. Testing the ignition system output should follow a compresion test. Loss of compression could indicate your VRO pump has failed or is failing. and you ran with insufficiant or no oil. This happened to me and my 89 60hp evinrude(same motor) and I never heard a warning horn at all. If it ran w/o oil it ran hot and could have cooked your ignition. Some special tools are required to properly test ignition systems but its pointless if you burnt or scarred pistons,rings or cylinders. VRO pumps are notorious for failure and after I rebiult my powerhead I replaced the VRO with a regular fuel pump and ran premix. It has purred perfectly for years now. Most of the time the spark plugs will a gray or silvery residue on them(as opposed to the normal dark brown or black) when piston or cylinder damage has occurred. Be sure to give them a look. I hope this is not your fate. If I lived closer I would be glad to check your motor over. It is painful to hear of a catter who ain't cattin!! Good Luck

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to the b.o.c. Tommy.

14. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    I couldnt find this wire on a junction board but i did find it at the ignition switch itself i took it off and tested for spark and still nothing. I guess i may be stuck taking it to the marina.

Chris

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You do that, you may be w/o a water ride for the rest of the warm season. Recruit bubbacats help, and/or- hell... bring er over here, I'll get her goin for ya.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    What kind of spark tester did you get? If it's one of the ones that flashes when you hold it against the wire, I'd almost bet the tester isn't picking up. I had a problem with one of those when testing mine.

If you get the type where you can adust the gap and watch the spark jump across you're better off - it just plugs into your plug wire like a spark plug. I'm not sure what the spec is on that engine but on mine it should jump a 7/16 gap if it's getting good spark.

Also I believe it's good practice to ground out your other plug wires when doing a spark or compression test (easier on your power pack). Bubba or BobPaul can confirm that one, but it's what I've always heard.

Another question for Bubba and BobPaul would be what effect a low battery would have. I thought I read in my manual that you needed the motor to turn 200 rpm to engage the ignition system. If your battery is down it might not be turning it fast enough to generate spark. Again, not positive on that one but thought I'd throw it out there.

No matter how the spark issue is resolved the more worrying problem to me would be what sounds to be the symptoms of possible VRO issues. No oil = big money :sad2:

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A well charged battery is needed for a compression, or spark check.

18. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    My dad had a 30 horse yamaha and when we put it in the river it would run perfect for about 10 to 15 minutes then the buzzer would sound. The water pump was going so that wasnt the problem. After many headaches and tearing our hair out we decided to take it to a marine shop. Turns out the crank shaft was bent, the piston rings were shot, and the cylinder walls were scarred. YIKES! All of this because the oil injection went out. If it was caught earlier wouldve saved lots of money. So i would check the oil injection system

19. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    You guys wont believe this.

So this morning i called a couple local marinas to see if any of them could get to looking/working on it fast enough for me and the first one couldnt but the second one could start on it within the day.

So i go outside and get all my crap out of it and get ready to hook it up and notice something just as im about to walk away.

There is a small prong thing that i would call some sort of safety switch and i notice the thing is on it but not pushing the button in so i think to myself no fuggin way this could be the problem knowing full well it was.

I put it on correctly and dont you know it..it fires right up.

So i want to thank all of you for your help and i will post a pic of the thing im talking about so if theres ever anyone out there as dumb as me this may help thim as well lol.

Chris

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They'd've probably rebuilt your motor and had it for ya by christmas of 2011 lol.

Good deal! Now go fish!