Johnson 50 hp lower unit

Discussion in 'BUY AND SELL - MAKE $$$ - GET CHEAP DEALS' started by Cutbait101, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i want to buy a good lower unit for a 98 johnson 50 hp,i got cash money!and will pick up within 200 miles or will pay shipping.thanks

2. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Is that a regular Johnson Outboard or a Hydroelectric Drive?

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    its a regular johnson 50

4. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    bump

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Mark- Can't help ya there. I have a Johnson 50 HP Hydroelectric drive that I need the shifter control box for. The one on mine has a bad switch and needs replaced. But you have to catch one on e-bay because they do not make them anymore or parts for them. I would be willing to trade it for something else along the same horsepower if I can ever find anyone wanting one.

6. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Any good machine shop might be able to tool the parts you need for that. Especialy if they deal in nautical equiptment. Ie: In Jeffersonville Indiana here we have a massive boatyard company that works on barges and the like up and down the ohio. The machine shop there used to do work for private individuals alot and the prices were fair. They used to have a guy there named Napier who could tool out anything ya needed in record time.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Mark, you may want to give some serious consideration to getting your lower unit repaired. By the time you buy another one, or buy another motor, your out about the same amount of money, but you have no idea as to what you have bought. You should be able to get it fixed for about 300.00, and it would be better than buying something else blind.

Newton, the blankety blank switch went out on my motor also. Not about the spend the few hundred dollars they want for another switch. I fixed mine by drilling a hole in the control box, splicing into the three wires that the switch controls, and ran those wires to a 3 position light switch and a horn button. the way it works is when the switch is all the way in, I'm in forward. When its in the second détente, I'm in neutral, when in the third détente I'm still in neutral until the horn button is pushed and held, then I'm in reverse. Set it up this way so I can't accidentally put it into reverse, it takes a conscious effort. I left the switch in the box so I could feel neutral with the shift lever. It works real good, unless you have the motor reved up when you push the horn button. Just gotta slow down on the throttle movements - LOL,

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  8. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    guess ill just put a gear set in,thought maybe someone might have one lying around.thanks mark

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lawrence you and I are more a like then any two I have encountered. I did the same thing on my boat.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Why thank you Willard. I consider that to be a great compliment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.