Johnson 50 hp 1973 gearbox housing problem.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fireblade101, May 16, 2006.

1. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Hi there I have just purchased a 50hp johnson model 50ESL73R. It has a seized gearbox of which I cannot figure out how to remove the prop shaft I presume the housing has to be removed with a special tool Being as I live in England marine workshops are hard to find. I was wondering if anything can be made up to remove the housing or am i going in the wrong direction as to how to remove it. I am awaiting the manual for this which is another nightmare to get hold of over here. Also would appreciate if anyone knows of a company that posts Johnson parts overseas.
    Many thanks Nick.

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Fireblade101,
    When you get your repair manual, you will discover what you need to remove the prop shaft and all the internal gears. It's not a difficult job and you probably have the tools to accomplish the task. BobPaul or Bubba will be on with an answer advise shortly. They know what their doing and I trust them completely. As far as getting parts shipped i would think most online parts dealers would ship the parts to you if you call and talk to them.

3. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    THanks Arkie its just that the bearing housing around the prop shaft seems like its welded in there thanks once again for the reply Nick

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I think I know, but with all the different ones I've been working on, I want to check before telling you wrong. They tend to run together if I don't have it in front of me.

You'll have that gear box/lower unit in your lap before long.

5. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks for that just thought i would say that i went on one of your members recommended site i.shop marine and typed in my model number the piece i beleive has to be removed is no.28 which is called a bearing housing assy it also seems to show a bolt going through it of which i cannot see when i look down the gap of the housing. I do appreciate you have to see it to know what your looking at i am just not looking forward to having springs and washers firing all over the room many thanks Nick

6. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    The bolts you refer to are there. It takes a flashlight to actually see them. I was as confused as could be the first time I took the bearing housing out of a lower unit. All you really have to do is remove the prop, remove the two bolts your referred to, and then take a slide hammer (for fixing auto bodys) install the hook tool, and gnetly tap it out. Change sides of the housing with the slide hammer every blow to keep the housing coming out properly. Once the bearing housing is out, there will be a snap ring to remove before the gears can be removed. Check out the drawing on ishopmarine to get an understanding of what is inside the lower unit casing. It will help.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Welcome to the site nick. Now take a look at this unit here and see if it is like yours. Is yours the hydro electric shift or is it the manuel shift. This should be it if its manuel shift. They changed some of them in the early 70s

Take the prop off and as suggested look and see if you can see the bolts.
    If you can't get it to slide out with the puller as sugested then I have some pictures of an old fashon way to do it..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/197250lower.gif

8. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks guys for your advice never would of thought of the slide hammer approach (very much appreciated)
    I am thinking that thare are acctually 4 bolts or screws holding this housing in which look to me as though they have already been removed by the previous owner. As I purchased this motor with the box already off . Will certainly give the slide hammer a go and thanks once again for the advice Nick

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Nick, I'm told that only electric shift 50's were made that year. If yours has a sharply pointed front housing, then it is an electric shift.

It takes a special lower unit oil, locks into forward gear when shut down, and are a pain to repair. I wish I had better news.

10. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks once again. Just to say yes it does have a pointed front when you say it locks in forward when shut down does that mean that when the gear box is removed the prop and drive shaft will not spin by hand at all. Or will it take some pressure to spin them by hand. Also do you know if any other gearbox can replace this one ie. will a 60hp johnson fit or a 40hp as I have seen a few Johnson gearboxes on ebay of which the seller has said it will fit but am very weary of travelling miles to find something completely different many thanks again Nick

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If your engine were put together, you would need to turn the flywheel, always in a clockwise turn, to turn the prop, when the engine's not running.

If the lower unit were not attached, turning the drive shaft clockwise would turn the prop shaft.

I would think it easiest to put that power head on a new midsection and lower unit with manual shift, rather than try to fit a manuel shift lower unit to your set up, do to the lack of manuel shift linkage.

Before doing anything. you should be sure of your power head. Compression, and spark?

12. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks Bob have made calls over here was told it is not electric change as there would either be wires or some kind of electrical linkage to power solonoids in the gearbox or some kind of lever system on the right hand side of the engine. He also said if I had extra buttons on the remote this would tell as well happy to send a pic to you as i have taken a few if you like to see if you could tell me how to send Many thanks again Nick

13. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Sorry bob I have to have 10 posts before sending anything apparently so will strip this down and look at it but many thanks so far Nick

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    To bad your not in TX. I have a 74 model, electric shift I would trade cheap. It has low compression and I am not fixing it.

Jim

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You've only got two more to go. BS somebody in another thread or post again here a few times, then send the pics.

16. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Hi once again all I have received the manual for my engine (It is on disc) I have tried the slide hammer approach to the point that I broke the handle off the slide hammer itself and the housing will not budge. Getting to the point of throwing the lot out the window any ideas??

17. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    also could anyone tell me how the impellor conects to the drive shaft as i think there is a peice missing many thanks Nick