Johnson 2hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Muddy96, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I need to know how to set the lean and rich settings on the carb. I currently have them ran all the way in(lean). I have not tried to start it as I was hoping one of you would be able to tell me about where to set them to start with. It is a early 80's model engine. Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You seat them both in gently not twisted hard or it will ruien the needle points. Back them out 11/2 turns each. You need to set these while it is in gear with a load on it in the water. You can get it roughly set while in a trash barell of water. You take the low speed one and at an idle in gear you back it out 1/8 th turn at a time letting the motor catch up on each movement. This takes a little while as the motor catches up and do this until it starts to miss and then take it back clockwise 1/4 turn and it should be there. If not then adjust until it is there.
    The high speed should be done the same way but at a higher rpm.
    It most likely will take two of you to do this.

3. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I can make the motor run fine out of water now. However, when I put it in the water(put a load on it) it wants to run full speed then slow down and it keeps doing this. It will not run at an idle under a load. The gas is fresh, I have not been able to check the compression yet. Am I right that checking it should be my next step? What should it be. Thanks again. Also, do you know where to purchase a rebuild kit for this motor. Just incase the compresion is low?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Did you set them while in gear. If so then check all your connections in the fuel system to make sure you ain't sucking air.

On that little motor you should be able to spin around 80 to 90 psi compression. If at 70 it will run alright it will be hard to start though and before you start to tear it down do a good decarb on it to see if the compression will come up.
    Did you clean and rebuild the carb.
    If it speeds up and then slows down under a load then it is most likely fuel related.

5. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I have went thru the fuel system and all seems to be working right. I took the head off and found a blown head gasket. I guess it was building just enough pressure to run with out a load. I am getting ready to purchase one. I think this will take care of the problem. Thanks a ton. Jerry

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the follow up and be sure to let me know how it turns out.