Johnson 25 hp Stick Steering

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wigginsdano59, Jun 28, 2006.

1. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have a johnson 25 hp motor about 1975 model, with tiller steer, pull start and manual shift. I would like to install stick steering on my boat using this motor. I am trying to buy items on ebay to conserve cost$$$$any ideas on items i would need would be appreciated. I have been told i need a motor swivel with a steering tube? gearshift and throttle control? starter? thanks for any help. I could probably buy a motor already fitted cheaper however this was my father in laws motor and I want to use his motor for this project.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You have a chore cut out for you. I know there are several brothers who have the stick steering and hopefully they will read the thread...if not, you may want to resubmit your question with a title about "how do I set up stick steering". That will probably get you the answers you want... maybe you can contact a moderator and have them change this thread's title. Lotsa luck.

3. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have stick on my 35 Evinrude. The electric start is nice but not necessary right away. you can still pull start the motor with stick steer. If you buy a complete stick steer kit you're a long way down the road. You will need a remote control box and cables for the shifter and throttle. You'll also need the cable clanps or clips for the motor. Then you will need a steering cable tube mounted on the transom and the connector arm to connect the steering cable to the motor. Hope this helps. I really like the stick steering in my boat.

PS
    When you buy the steering set-up, make sure you know where you will mount the stick and measure to the motor to make sure you get the right cable length.

4. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    dan , how far from greenville,ms are u ??????????????? i've got the whole shebang off a 1990 johnson i'd be willing to sell u......... shift cable , electric to starter , throttle , and the shift/throttle control box .......i'd have to measure the cables to see if they are long enough for ur application ........the throttle/shift handle needs the little plastic hand hold deal .... i'm sure u can buy that part from a dealer.............

5. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    coach thanks for the reply. do you have the stick steering set up with your system? also I will need the cables on the stick to be 111/2 feet. How many dollars do you need ? I live about 8 hours from greenville ms but I am sure that i can work something out on this part.:lol: :lol:

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Dan I have a 1993 25hp Johnson that I changed from tiller to stick steering.I bought a used control from BobPaul and I got the stick steering from a Merc dealer.The deeler had changed out a new boat from stick to wheel steering so I got the stich at a good price.I took the tiller off the motor hooked up the control and the stick steering and that was no no big deal but it did feel like I was throwing money at my boat.

7. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    badkarma, did the steering tube come with the stick? how did you mount your steering tube? also i agree this may be somewhat throwing money at the boat, however my boat is rated for remote steering with a 25 motor. therefore i would rather pay for steering than be fined. also when the boat was built the manu company installed a setup for stick.

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    morning dan ... my cables are for a 10ft application ........sorry about that ...... the only steering parts i have is the tube and the steering arm ......no steering cable,,,,,,,,,,,,, good luck !!

9. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    coach, how much do you want for the steering tube and connector arm?

10. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    dan ,,, i;m not sure u can need just the tube and steering arm ........... u may need the whole mounting bracket ............ and i suspect , my bracket won't mesh with urs ............. find out first ....... ok ????