Johnson 25 HP outboard motor problem

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Rusty, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I have a 2000 Johnson 25 horse.
    I fish the Grand river near Bosworth/Brunswick Mo. This is a small river full of logs and sand bars. I do a lot of idling. This motor will idle along just fine then it will cough and a lot of times die. The motor runs the best above idle. I have changed the plugs but with in a hour or two it will be right back to doing the same thing again. I have checked all fuel lines fore cracks or leaks. This motor started doing this about two years ago. What do you think guys??? Thanks in advance Rusty

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you could try a carb overhaul and decarbon the engine

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You might want to check the gas for water.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Does it smoke when you re-start after it dies? She could be loading up with fuel while it's idling.

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Are we talking like we use to do the old Chevy's. put water down the carb?

Mickey I have probable put 200 gallon through it in the past 2 years. I don't think its the gas or it wouldn't do it all the time.

If you take it out and run it wide open for a short it helps, but a short time idling it will start it again.

Thanks guys fore the help.

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Yes Brandon it does. but what is causing it to load up?
    I think we are on the right track now...

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Rusty, Happy New Year. What helped me was changing my oil over to synthetic, and gapping my plugs at 35 thousands. I got quite a bit of the loading up out of my engine doing this. I even thought of going to a hotter plug, but haven't yet. Later Andy

8. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Hey Andy. How are you doing? You know we talked about this when I was over there. I did try the gap. That didn't seem to help at all. What about the float? Could it be set to high? Or not shutting the gas off when Idling? It runs great when above a Idle.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my johnson 40 did that. was a carb adjustment and problem for me was taken care of. good luck.
    gary

10. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Thanks Gary. I hope thats all it will take to fix mine. When I fish the lakes and big rivers it isn't a problem but on the small rivers its a pain in the Yea.

11. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Rusty, mine used to do that to me all the time. It would die on me and then smoke like a beast when I got it fired up again. Plugs were wet after those little episodes as well. I rebuilt all 3 carbs and it was good to go. Sounds like you may have a piece of trash in your bowl keeping the needle from seating all the way or something similar. Bubba will be along and let us all know, but it sounds to me like it's just some "floaties" in your carb or maybe the needle and/or seat are worn. All based on my VERY limited experience from fooling with mine. On the spark plug, one of the mechs at Cabela's told me to overgap them slightly to get a hotter spark. Again, Bubba will know for sure, but I think mine were a .030 gap and I went to .035 or they were .035 and I went to .040. No problems so far. Good luck!

Branden

12. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Thanks Brandon. I believe you are right. I thought about putting a carb kit in it but just decided I would post it here and see what you guys thought. Thanks again.....

13. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Rusty, sounds like what they call a lean sneeze, an air leak causing fuel mixture to be too lean at idle. There is an excellent outboard repair form here: http://forums.iboats.com/

14. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Rusty I forget, is your engine oil injected or do you mix your gas? I don't think a carb rebuild is in order, the problem is loading up at idle. Sounds to me that a carb adjustment is in order, I'd lean it out some. Later Andy

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That could be a lean sneeze or a plug or plug wire or coil missing at low speed. The first thing to do is to do a compression check and a spark test.

I would suspect with out that being done I would lean to the side of a low idle pick up restriction. In that case a carb soaking and rebuild is in order. How long has it been since the carbs were rebuilt.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Why on earth would you recommend a member go to a competiors board for advice that he can get among this board. Doesn't make sense to me.

17. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Bubbakat. it has never had a carb nothing. Its a 2000 motor and I haven't had any trouble befor this and it runs great other wise. I do beleave I will put a carb kit in it and hope that fixes the problem. That sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for the help.

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Todays fuel will wreak havoc on gaskets and needle tips that are rubber.
    When you soak them real good then take some compressed air and clean every little oriffice out. Better to do an over kill then to have to redo it.

19. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Hey Andy. I don't think its running to lean. When it does this it smokes bad when you restart it.
    I mix the gas. Thanks for the help.

20. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Moriverfish. If it was runing lean why would it smoke real bad after restarting? I may be wrong but it seems to be to rich to me.