Johnny [777] saves the day!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Big Sam, May 24, 2007.

1. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well me and ol'e Johnny snuck off yesterday evening chasing the elusive skip-jack around. We arrived at our secret spot and got after it. I bagged a few right off the bat while johnny decided to re-spool his 33 about 3 times in a row due to aggressive striper action:tounge_out::lol: Well my zebco decided to go into sabbatoge mode and break off where it mounts on the rod:oops: So i was doomed and a long ways from a return to wal-mart and no spare reel:crazy: So what does johnny come up with? Duck tape folks:lol: He got his tape from the truck and we taped it straight down on the rod. He wrapped that dude tougher than a porcupine in an arm wrestling contest!:lol: It worked too!!! I went on to fill my 3 gallon bucket and even survived a couple of big strippers..Thanks johnny:cool2: Did i mention my bucket was full and you could see the bottom in his>?:lol:

2. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    sounds like 777 was prepared......u should split those skipjack with him. i think you can fix anything with duct tape and bailing wire!!!!. by the way where they biting?

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Well you know the old saying duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together:lol:.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LOL, sounds like yall had a blast. hehehe

5. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Big B..................I would love to help you out:big_smile: but....in the post it does mention SECRET spot:lol::crazy::tounge_out:

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Never fixed my rod and reel with duct tape before. wished I had duct tape a time are to before. what bait do you use for skipjack? never caught a skipjack before. where do you find them?

7. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Big Sam can't blame a man for trying

8. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Big Sam sounds like you all were in a gunfight.
    Wished I could find one

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    It was definately a slugfest:smile2:. The ole 33 was getting a pounding from stripers :eek:oooh:but we ended up with about 40 skip's and Sam caught about 2/3's of them:tounge_out:. The last time we were at the secret spot we were dragging in sandbass 3 at a time and the stripers were bad that day also but still ended up with about 40 skip's. The only thing I can say about the secret spot is :0a19:..........:lol:

10. catfisherman60

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    777 what did you use for bait

11. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    We were using 3 jigs tied in tandum about a foot apart. We usually use small curly tail jig bodies but for some reason they don't hit them very well at this spot. They will hit a straight tailed jig better and you never know what color. The last time red/white done the best and yesterday yellow/black/white seemed to be the prefered color.

12. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well boy's you gotta remember that johnny is colored blind so he really doesn't have a clue as to what color the tube-jigs really were:lol: Bait boat is going through with-drawls at this time:crazy: heck if ya put a live minnow on his hook he would start hollering " Get the net boy's it's been a while":lol: Some day the Ar. river will go down.........but it won't be any time soon.:roll_eyes:

13. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i don't think that bad boy is ever gonna go back down

14. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Allright boy's ..on my lunch break i got my hacksaw out:crazy: and sawed through an inch thick layer of duck-tape that 777 fixed my reel with!!:lol: The only part of the reel you could see was the cast button and the reel handle:lol: Hat's off to ya johnny!! Took it back to wal-mart...the lady at the desk was rolling on the floor after that story..We got us a new one to break in johnny...better re-supply that duck-tape:006:

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Forgot my manners:crazy: Welcome catfisherman from Greenwood Ar!!! I am just a stone throw away from ya here in Booneville:lol: To answer your question....below the dams is where we catch skips most of the time. Just follow johnny's directions there and it will work for ya.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Mike, look for fast water, such as below a powerhouse, off the end of a rock dike that sticks out into the current, etc. While some folks like using sabiki rigs, we always use crappie jigs, tied either in tandem or a single jig, depending on where we're fishing, and what we're fishing with. We try to have a gathering at Pickwick every spring, mostly for catching skipjack. They run considerably larger there than here in Arkansas. If you're using 10# line there and two jigs, plan to get your line broken frequently. You can cut down on the breakage by quickly netting the fish as soon as they get within reach of the boat, but you'll still have some breakoffs. Personally, I use a standard weight spinning rod & reel spooled with 20# braided superline (6# test diameter). It casts like a dream, and I don't have to worry about breakoffs. On the other hand, here in Arkansas, you're pretty safe using 10# line, even if you have 3 jigs tied on.

17. catfisherman60

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Thanks big sam. I fish the river when its not so high. right now my 20 foot jon boat is lake and creek fishing. river is to high for me. maybe some time in june it will go down. I want to try skipjack for bait. never got them before.

18. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
  19. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    Well I"m going to wichita kansas today maybe the arkansas river
    will be managable. Ha HA
    Welcome to boc Mike. I think I might know you.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Corps is predicting 70,000cfs for next Tuesday. If that trend continues, the river might be fishable by the following weekend.