John Trager ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kawriverrat, Jan 6, 2010.

1. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Any one know if he is here?

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jeff why are you asking....

Dont think you will get many reply's with a question like this..

3. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Oh sorry, you are probably right.
    I need to make contact with. I was told by Mike Calwell with Friends of the Kaw he would be some one to contact regarding some info. I should have given an explanation with my opening post. MY BAD!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    He might be hard to get ahold of this week with the Sports show and all.

FYI: Friends of the Kaw is kinda a 4 letter word to some here. :gotu:

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I didn't know he was a guide...Never had heard of him...Good luck on your fishing trip.

6. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I just got off the phone with John

Whats up with Friends of the Kaw? I am very hard to offend, so dont worry about that. Just like to hear some specifics. To see if they match with my thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  7. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I was just needing some info on another matter. Guide a bit myself to help support my fishing habit.

8. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    dont know whay friends of the Kaw would be bad. they're the ones gettin all the river access put in.

9. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    There goal was to have a ramp every 10 miles.
    I have heard some thoughts about them. But since it was brought up, I was really interested in hearing thoughts from folks here.

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i dont really know much about em other than them gettin ramps/access put in. ive seen pics of their board of dir. or whatever they call it. ive also been told about their ways and beliefs from others. point is, i dont know em but i like what they're doin. i sure hope they dont brace me when im on the river cuz i have a motor.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I think what they have done has been great. Without their efforts we would have very little boat access to the Kansas River. They are mostly canoeists and such, and I've heard that a few of them would like to see motors banned... I've also heard a few motor boaters gripe about the canoes on the water. The truth is, I know they made at least a couple of attempts to get more catfishermen involved in their group, with little response.

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ok here is my experience with a few of them. Wamego ramp just after it opened, there was a few of the FOTK working on the ramp area. I go down to look at the area. I start talking to one of the guys, I interduce myself and he did too, I find out he is a memeber of the FOTK, I then go on to thank him for getting the state involved in getting ramps made. I then say it will be nice to be able to fish in a few different spots now on the river. I was then told the ramp was not for me, it was for canoes and paddle boats to enjoy the majistic river. I told him I enjoy the river as much as the next person if not more, he states that its becasue of people like me the river is the way it is now. That if they had more say in things we would not be allow with or polluting engines and noise. I told him I tread lightly when I fish and i pick up as much trash as i cn when I see it. I then get an ear full that the other ramps will be fixed so we can not ruin the river any more. was this just one guy, yes one talking that day but there was several others standing around listening to what he had to say and nothing was said. Nothing and this is not the only case like this is have heard. Its the only case I can be 100% sure is true. I was really nice to him and thnaked him for what his club had doen and is doing but this is the thanks I get. I do see the point of some that fish leaving trash but no one I know, its just like there club they would not do that neither would any of you guys. So I feel I'm not judging them becasue of one guy, since the other could stand up and say something to correct this guy. That is my 2 cents on things.

13. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Martha and I was on the Wakarusa late in the fall as far down river as we could go fishing along side a posted 'Refuage' area. Here comes 2 kayarer's. I told them they were not suppose to go into a refuage area and they said it did not apply to them. They went on around the corner and I called operation game thief. Used to go down into southern Missouri and float the rivers. The outfitters are required to provide trash sacks with every canoe. The water is clear and you can see a lot of trash on the bottom from time to time, but the problem seem's to be under control.

'"I think the 'Friends of the Kaw (FOK)' stoping the United States Army Corps of Engineers (COE) from dredging the Kansas River from Lecompton to Lawrence in 1995 was a mistake.'" In support of that thought I point to the polluted contaminated water of the Kaw between Lawrence and Eudora. http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Are-My-Fish-Safe-To-Eat

14. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    :secret:

Friends of the Kaw (FOK) long term goals are to make and keep the Kansas River shadow enough that only canoes and kayaks can use it. FOK short term goals are to use fishing license money (that goes into the state general fund) to build concrete boat ramps every 10 miles.

In a thread last year we all saw the Heritage of the Kansas River. The thread titled "Old Pictures". Big cats being caught out of that river.

15. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Listen fellas no one here is going to offend me by voicing their thoughts about FOK. I have heard a lot of it.

I will say I served on the board of Friends Of The Kaw for about a year. I helped with the concrete work on 3 of the new ramps & also did all the tree work on Kaw Point. Some on the board during my time there were a bit left of center regarding their ideas. But none of the board members during my time there where against motorized boats on the river. In fact the board was trying very hard at the time to get funds for a motorized boat to run the river them selves.

Also because of my knowledge of the river & for safety reasons I was asked to tag along on all their float trips in my boat powerd by a 50 hp Merc.

Not all who are members have views that represent the group. Dont think I would agree with everything the group does. But the access they have provided through hard effort, I think, we can all agree is a big plus for all who love the river.
    I would like to add at this time I am no longer an active member. So I am not trying to push them off on any one.

Jeff 'Kawriverrat"

16. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I am very conservative in my way of thinking. I dont want to see any road blocks placed in front of those who wish to make recreational use of our states resources. I am an avid outdoorsman & have a great love for our river.
    But Gamblen I have to say I disagree with your post. All the ramps built by FOC to date have been with donations. That is time & material, manpower.

As far as the dregers on the Kaw go. Well there is a lot of opinions thrown about. These are not my thoughts on this matter but FOKs. They will say for every ton of sand taken from the river it takes 3 tons to replace {or some thing close}.
    Their argument is that as sand is pulled from the bottom of the river it causes the banks upstream to collapse. Which according to them makes the river wider & more shallow. I sat through numerous presentation that covered this topic & their thoughts.
    Even used water from the pump in my boat on a sandbar to demonstrate their point.

As far as there not being any more BIG cats or lesser numbers of them, this has more to do with the dam on the river & hindering the prespawn migration than anything else. Great topic!

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  17. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I am very conservative in my way of thinking. I dont want to see any road blocks placed in front of those who wish to make recreational use of our staes rescources.

But Gamblen I have to say I dissagree with your post. All the ramps built by FOC to date have been with donations. That is time & material, manpower.

As far as the dregers on the Kaw go. Well there is a lot of opinions thrown about. These are not my thoughts on this matter but FOKs. They will say for every ton of sand taken from the river it takes 3 tons to replace {or some thing close}.
    Their arguement is that as sand is pulled from the bottom of the river it causes the banks upstream to collapse. Which according to them makes the river wider & more shallow. I sat through numerous presentation that covered this topic & their thoughts.
    Even used water from the pump in my boat on a sandbar to demonstrate their point.

As far as there not being any more BIG cats or lesser numbers of them, this has more to do with the dam on the river & hindering the prespawn migration than anything else. Great topic!

Jeff

18. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    :at-wits-end: I don't think so.

19. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Ron, I did some checking & you are right the Edwardsville,Desoto,Wamego & Junction City ramps did receive some funds to build. The Kaw Point ramp was built entirely by volunteers & donations of material.

The funds received would in no way cover the material or work required.
    Ron do you know the amount of money given by the State & municipalities for any of these ramps?

Any idea how much a ramp cost to build?

Ron, a lot of what you are saying & implying just isn't jiving with my experience with FOK.
    Have you ever spoke with an active board member about their ideas & plans regarding the river?

I have to ask, do you think they would be missleading or give you wrong information if & when you did speak with them?

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010