John Redmond lake in Kansas - Is there anything wrong with it?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lakeith, Apr 12, 2006.

1. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Is there something wrong w/ this lake? No one ever talks about it and i just saw on the net it's relatively huge for Ks at 9,400 acres. Does anyone use it for fishing or recreation

2. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    i know that people fish it. My cousin lives in the General area i have heard tail of there being some big cats in there i just dont know to much about it...i know that alot of the cats are caught in the spill-way from what i hear either that or below the low water dam in burlington.....i'll get in touch with my cousin and see what i can find out about it...

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    For its size it has to be the shallowest lake in Kansas! You would be hard pressed to find water deeper than 10-12 feet and most is only a couple feet deep. I've seen big crappie and alot of channels cats come from their. With all the cover there should be some nice flatheads aswell.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It’s supposed to be a good flathead lake, but like Geoff said, not very deep. Below the dam can be good if you hit it just right, but it doesn’t take too much water to flood out most of the good bank spots right by the dam. I’ve heard (but I can’t remember where – I may be passing on an urban legend) that there is some commercial fishing up in the lake that impacts it quite a bit.

5. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Thanks for the info/urban legends...lol. I've been there before when i lived in Emporia. I wonder if it's silting in b/c it's old? Didn't somebody have a picture of a logjam that was a 1/2 mile long in the Neosho that feeds it a couple of yrs ago?

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The main reason the lake is so shallow is it's somewhat of a older lake. When the corps build man made lakes there's a certain life expectancy for useability. Many decades of silt builds up in the lake making navagation pretty hard. We have a lake here in Oklahoma built in the early fifties. Now the lake is about 3800 acres but the corps estimate the amount of silt in the lake is the size of a football field two miles high! We recieve our main water suppy for this lake but will have to find other sources soon. The lake simply can't hold too much water any more but there's still decent fishing mainly because it keeps many for using the lake, too many underwater hazards.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    The buffalo netters have been on it for several years and it still keeps producing. I have a friend in Burlington that tells me the catfishing is awesome, supposedly the spawn on the dam is great. The drift fishing is also good, seen guy's drifting it during duck season and found cleaned fish near the ramp. It also has the biggest log jam I've ever seen, the river just above the lake has a jam that is near a mile long or so they say............I didn't walk it but I couldn't see the end!! I about buried my old bass boat in the mud up there one year, I was no closer than a 1/2 mile to any shore and found about a foot of water. Great campground below the dam on the west side, duck hunting is pretty good at times also.

8. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    There is nothing wrong with John redmon Lake that I know of except it`s shallow I have fished it a few times above the dam & have caught some mity nice channels & a flat or two. I had a good friend that lived in Burlington & he would always call me & let me know wher the channel were spawning. we would take my boat & ancher it about 15 ft. from the rocks & out about 1/2 the way across the dam used live shad around 6 to 8 in. long & caught channel like mad., & every now &the one of us would hook a nice eating size flat around 8 to 10 lbs. But havent been there for a few years sence he passed on. It just was`nt any fun any more.

9. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Great reports guys. Sounds like a canoe heaven and some of those fish would be pulling you around! lol.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "Great campground below the dam on the west side, duck hunting is pretty good at times also"

That's a good point - it is a nice place to camp, with bank fishing opportunities right there. You can catch catfish in the main channel on one side, and all the turtles you could want in the back water on the other side. After figuring that out, I mostly stuck to the main channel:eek:

11. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Charlie i don't know about walking on top of a loggam, i have on small ones but, one like that would give me a serious case of the creeps....something about falling and getting trapped in or under some logs. So many lakes and so little time to get to them. I want to hit Coffey County/Wolf Creek and Melvern is nice too.

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Oh heck no I didn't get out there on it...............I'm starting to feel my mortality:) . A buddy of mine did get out on it and shot some carp, you could them sucking all over it.

I take it the boat is working for you??

13. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    Yeah, i took the boat to my brother in-laws in Lawrence last sat. and we put a fish finder on it. I also got a on-board battery charger. We took it out on Clinton for about 2hrs and i had family commitments but, it ran great. I just have to find time. I would have called or came over but, just didn't have much time. Plus i didn't want to impose...i didn't know how easy it was to put a fish finder on.

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I fished it long ago and had a real nice time. Not sure how big a cat you could expect, but pressure I believe is low and who knows what lurks in its large expanse.

15. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I would love to get out on it, seems you would have less guess work about where to fish. Just go to the deeper part and something would have to be there? Charlie I never thought i'd see the day you would admit to having any second thoughts about your mortality,lol.

16. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Bruce, kids and the family life will do that to ya!!

I guess the whitebass fishing can be awesome during the spring run up around Neosho Falls. A buddy also hammered them last fall along the face of the dam and in front of the outlet, those whites corner up the shad and go on a frenzy.

17. lakeith

lakeith New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Mo.
    I have a article saved about the white bass on the neosho near neosho falls where the guys can catch 300 fish each in the spring. One guy told me about a story of putting them on a stringer and they just kept putting them on until you couldn't pull the stringer it was so heavy.