John Redmond below DAM???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by bigd4xman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Has anyone fished below the dam at John Redmond north of Burlington? Just wondering if it would be wourth trying to fish for some blue cats? Its about a 40 minute drive for me but I'm considering going up for a day since my two dams that I'm familiar with have most of the flow shut down. Hard to catch blues around here also as the ones we catch have migrated north from Oklahoma.

2. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    Just messing with you.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I took a trip out there at the end of may this spring. It seems like it would be a good place to fish. I'm not a blue fisherman so I can't say for blues, but we were fishing for flatheads and we maybe caught one or two fish on that stretch of the river that whole trip between the three of us. They were channels too. We fished all the textbook places but didn't have much luck. That time of the year the whole lake was pretty flooded and the only ramp that was open was the ramp below the spillway. Its not a real long stretch of the river and it got a ton of pressure just that weekend we were there alone. I've never seen as many limblines on a river. My preference really is getting on the river above the lake, but all the ramps were closed. We ended up finding a place to back down into a ditch and lauch the boat above the lake at the end of the trip, but still didn't have much luck. I'll bet that above the lake is prime fishing now though as long as it isn't still flooded. We did real well there last year in early August.

4. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Where is there access above the lake, other than Jacobs Creek? I was there a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find anywhere to get on the water except Jacobs Creek and the log jam had it blocked right below the ramp. We ended up putting on the lake by the dam and trying to get to the Neosho. Ha, that lake got so shallow, so fast that was out of the question. Then when we got back to the ramp, the game warden, park ranger, whoever he was, was waiting for us, and gave me a ticket because my life jackets were not accessable. Hell, my partner was pulling us most of the way, because I was tired of changing the sheer pin because we were in about a foot of water. My trailer lights was working when we left there, he even checked them to make sure. We leave the dam and go to Jacobs Creek. At the T intersection right before the entrance was a sheriff, and highway patrol, who pulled me over. He saw the ticket laying on the seat, asked me about it, and I told him the deal. He said my trailer lights was not working and gave me another ticket. The tickets are only ten and thirty dollars, but there is a 86 dollar court charge on both of them, that has to be paid even if you don't go to court. I guess it could have been alot worse, if it would have happened several years ago, I wouldn't have had a license, and would have been drunk too. It still sucks though, made that an expensive trip, and didn't catch anything.

5. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,

I think they opened another ramp in Jacobs Creek area, at the T intersection go west, turn left, 1/2 mile then north follow the road around to the left then it will turn back right down a hill to Eagle Creek...you can put in there and get to the river,,,(unless the log jam has gotten back that far)

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like fishing that jacobs creek area myself. Its a small pocket there, but there are some good fish in there. Last time I was there though, a local guy was out running his limb lines and was bragging about takeing a couple thousand pounds of fish out of there... that was a little discouraging. Still I think there are a lot of good fish in there. Someone else said something about the eagle whatever its called ramp, not very far from jacobs creek. I've never put in there, sort of looked shallow to me. Theres another ramp up the road in hartford and thats a good stretch of the river too.

7. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Yeah---now that you mention it- I have been thinking Neosho Rapids, but it is Hartford. About 15 years ago my wife and I put a 10 ft boat with a trolling motor on the river one sunny afternoon at Hartford. My trolling motor wouldn't get us back up the river, imagine that. We had no lights with us of anykind and it got dark. We ended up floating to the log jam, where all I could here was rushing water, and couldn't see the bank. I had just moved to Kansas, and had no ideal where I was. I asked my wife if there was any waterfalls on this river. She said she didn't think so, but wasn't sure. We tied off right there and stayed in that little boat all night, until daylight. Then I rowed it damn near all the way across the lake to get a ride to a payphone from some guys camping. We did make it from Hartford to the lake, but people tell me that now it can't be done. Not in a 14 foot boat, with a gas motor, and lights anyway. I think I might check that out before long.

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Let me know if you catch any blues out of Neosho,I still say they are very rare except down by Chetopa.

9. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    My uncle catches blues somewhere up around the Hartford area so I know they are in the Neosho, they are in the Verdigris also, at least to Toronto dam, several have been pulled out this year while I was fishing there.