John Redman

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lbz19, May 20, 2008.

1. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone been catching any flat heads at John Redman spillway? I am trying to decide on going there, or Perry this weedend. :cool2:

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kansas fish and game reports fair for flatheads at the spillway 5-50lbs.

This was a report updated on 5-13.... releasing 2500

3. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    they bumped it up to 7300 that might make them move up or at least you would be able to get a boat up their to increase your odds. if you do bring a boat up their be carefull of the big rock island in the middle its a real prop killer.

4. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thank you guys for the info. Is the north side of the spillway okay to take the boat up?

5. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i always go up the southside but make sure you stay out of the middle. once you get past the willows you should be fine and i'm sure you can make it on the southside just hug the corner and make good judgement.

6. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks again for the info. I will be careful.

7. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    after you put your boat in the spillway area you will have to go down around the corner and back up towards the spill way. as you approach the spillway stay to your left. there is deeper water on that side as you approach the spliiway. in the middle is some willow trees. tie up to them and fish off the back of your boat. When they let out this much water it is game on. You can catch fresh shad by the fishing dock as you round the corner in your boat. some people tie up to the wire barrier with boueys. That is good too.

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have never fished the spillway there. Were is the ramp at? With the amount of water they are letting out how safe is it in a smaller boat right now. I have a 15ft mod. V boat jon boat I was thinking about going down this weekend but dont want to drive the hour and it not work out. I guess I could always fish the main lake again if I had to.

9. lbz19

lbz19 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do you have to use live shad, or will frozen shad be okay? We went out sunday with the casting net and got a five gallon bucket full and put them in the freezer. will they work okay? Do you tie up to the willow trees on spillway side of the willows or the river side of the willows. I have seen boats in front of the willows, and wondered how they got up there. How deep is it buy the willows?

10. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    wit hthe amount of water they are letting out the water should be about 5 - 7 feet deep at the willows in the middle. Just stay to the left as you approachthe spillway (that is the deeper water). To get to the spillway ramp you actually drive over the spill way and take your first left down a steep hill. At the bottom of the hill take a left and the ramp is on your right. Wate rwill be up so it will be difficult to get your boat off the trailer because you will have to back your truck in so far. Once you put your boat in, you have to go down stream and turn left once you pass the fishing dock. Then go back up stream up toward the spillway. Fresh shad are easy caught by that fishing dock. But I don't see why using cut shad shouldn't work. Good luck!!

11. duckgetr

duckgetr New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dsage, I think your boat will be okay on there. Just remember this.. if you keep going down stream all the way down the neosho river toward burlington. You will come up on burlington city dam. If you haven't been down that far before it is hard to see and it is a 20ft water fall basically. I was fishing below the burlington dam before and I saw two guys in a john boat go off of it because there is no signs or warnings that it is there. they were okay but it scared the crap out of them. They said they didn't see it because it was there first time there and it was like a mirage and you don't see the dip in the road as you look down it. It is deceiving so be careful if you go down river that far.

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks Jim for the info, I think that I will have to give it a try. I don't think I will go down river at all. does not sound fun. I like wild rides but that one I will skip:wink:

13. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    i think most of the river down by burlington is privite property and i think you need permission to fish down their. plus they backed off the spillway to 3000 feet per second so the rock island is probably showing so be carefull.

14. Honor the Fish

Honor the Fish New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Fellow cat hunters,
    A friend and I are heading to John Redmond this Saturday (June, 7) to fish "the log jam" on the northwest side of the lake. We are going to put in at the west side boat ramp (he has a 20' flat bottom boat) and boat across. We tried to do it about 2 weeks ago, but got rained out. We never made it to the log jam, but when we were out there, it seemed a little difficult to find. We have since "google earth/d" it and seem to have a better idea of where it is. We were going to put in at the Jacob's Creek Landing boat ramp, but the river looks like it would get too congested if other boats are out. Our target is flatheads using live perch. We are also going to set a few poles with fresh shad for some channels. Any suggestions, advise, or thoughts before we put in tomorrow?
    :cool2:

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The main thing I can say about the lake is watch the wind. That lake gets real nasty with just a little bit of wind and with the wind they are talking about the next couple of days it will be bad. It surprised me how rough it gets with just a little wind. As for the log jam it is a mess, the reports I have heard is the Flats are being caught in the outlet area.

16. Honor the Fish

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Dan! How about bank fishing? Any good spots around there that would be better served off the bank?

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have only fished the lake a few times 2 times at night and 2 times in a small tourny so I really do not have a lot of info on bank fishing there.

18. Honor the Fish

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The wind is going to be blowing about 25 mph tomorrow! Yikes! So, we are going to give it a go today since the winds are supposed to be about 15 mph. Still a little rough, but better than what is coming. Sure hope the water is not too bad after last night's downpour. If the water is to rough, then we'll try the outlet on the East side as suggested.

19. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Cody

20. Honor the Fish

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Never made it to John Redmond as planned. It was too darn windy and we were unable to catch any perch in the local "honey hole" because of the overflooded/murky water conditions. We went to Hillsdale instead and had a slow night. We hooked 3 cats from 2 to 6 pounds in a 4 hour period on cut fresh water drum.