John Prine music fans

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cheryl, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    There will be a new episode of him on PBS tonight and possibly tomorrow night. Check your local listings. Austin City Limits. Comes on here at 11PM both nights. Hope the ones like him will watch. He has some of his new music on there. :)

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the heads up. will try to catch it.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Don't forget to record it. If you forget, I'm sure it will eventually be for sale from him.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I love John Prines music.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well I couldn't get PBS to come in,I'm still living in the stone age "no cable".

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I love John Prine. Seems like every time I mention him, everybody says, "who?" . I would like to see that, didn't even know Austin City Limits still comes on! Illegal smile,Sam Stone, Saddle in the Rain are a few of my favorite songs. I am gonna have to dig out his tapes, yes cassettes, lol. At least I ain't digging out 8 tracks, lol. Guess I should upgrade to CD's. Most of my music these days is on the computer anyway. I have over 1200 songs on an extra hard drive, everything from Hank Jr. to Gene Autry, Tex Ritter, Bill Monroe, to Metallica, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Social Distortion and everything in between. I used to have over 2000 songs, but went through and "cleaned house" and got rid of a lot of the stuff I don't want the kids listening to, lol half of which was David Allan Coes underground albums and Kid Rock. Anyway, nice to see another Prine fan!

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Managed to catch it, would liked to have seen more. will look for his new stuff.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I saw the first two songs and fell asleep. I love Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian and Paradise. He has tons of songs that are great.

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    JP was on for the first 30 min. of ACL and did only new songs off of his latest CD "Fair and Square", which he released in April of this year. I have a lot of his old albums, cassettes, and CD's. I even have a recorded show from Duluth, MN that a JP fan sent me from Canada. For those of you that like his music, you would probably like Jason Wilber's too. He is the younger man that plays with Prine and has his own recordings and band when not with JP. JP is such an interesting person and to me a musical genius. He married a lady from Ireland and started a family with her when he was I believe almost 50. He won the Poet Laurete award this year. That was quite an honor for him and the webcast of it is still on his site. Not an honor many musicians rec. from the USA. He won the artist of the year award for Americana music, which Billy Bob Thornton accepted for him. They are friends and if you haven't seen the movie "Daddy and Them", I would recommend it, just don't let the kids watch it, as Andy Griffith is their Father in it and NEVER have you seen him play this kind of role. LOL. JP has been thru so much in his life and keeps on going with a most positive attitude. He had throat cancer and thought he would never continue in his career. He also had a hip replacement and jokes about it being titanium and lasting long after he is gone. If you ever get a chance to see him, please do, as he is like the rest of us and aging rather quickly. ;)