John H. Kerr Dam/Gaston Tailrace Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JPritch, Nov 6, 2006.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Went out there this weekend. Fishing is awesome! Be sure to go to the Lake Gaston/tailrace side of the dam. Only downside is that alot of people can be down there at any one time. And try to go when the turbines aren't running.

A whole slew of channel cats in the 2-3 pound range were being caught, along with a few stripers. Fish were hitting the surface feeding non-stop the whole time I was out there. Best results were with slip bobbers and stink bait. Although I did catch one on the bottom with chicken liver...but I lost about 10 rigs to the bottom, must be alot of snags down there.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    thanks for the update. I love it when the eaters are snapping.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the report man, did you follow the tips I told you? What about the Blue Cats, were they being caught?

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for all the help Katmaster Zakk! I got there in the evening and there were a few people there already, but as it got dark and colder, they all left so I had the place to myself for a while. Four other guys showed up later and the fishing got hot.

I saw one decent blue, maybe 5 or so pounds get caught when I first got there....but they weren't biting our offerings that night. I wanted to throw some live bait or something out there to hook into the bigger boys, but I don't have a cast net. There were tons of shad in the water.

This dam fishing has got me hooked in that it provides the best opportunity for somebody without a boat. I'm going to try the Leesville Dam tonight and may head back to Kerr over the weekend.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    No problem man, I'm glad I could help. I told you that corner spot makes the difference between a good trip and bad trip. Surprised the Blue's weren't up there, but that's good for me because that means they are mostly down here on the lower end where I fish.:big_smile: Dam fishing is definitely best for shore fisherman which is what I did for years, always caught my biggest at the dams, not much shore access besides there around here.

Good luck