John Deere Chain Saw

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by flathead willie, Dec 10, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a John Deere 230 CS chain saw that seems to have a brake problem. The brake seems to be engaged when it shouldn't be. Does anyone know how to adjust it? Can it be adjusted?

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don't think most chain saw brakes are adjustable. Might just need a good cleaning. If it's a smaller saw that doesn't have a lot of power you could always take it off or have it disengaged.

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Removing it may be the way to go. It's just a small 18" and I've never had a problem with it kicking back. I took the lever off and didn't see any adjustments.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Billie, I'm not familiar with J.D. saw, but most of them have a band that goes around the clutch sprocket to stop the chain. I'd guess it's got dirt or something in the way. This should be fairly simple to deal with, but you will have to take the cover that goes over the chain sprocket off. The brake is a metalic band, and should be very prevalent. Clean it up or take it off, it's up to you. Later Andy

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I did that Andy. If I pull back on the lever a little, the band loosens up, but when you let it go, it gets real tight again.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Buy a Stihl and your woes will be over! :wink:

Bill in SC

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Words of wisdom!