John deer mower ?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by on_the_fly, Apr 18, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have the L 100 with the 17 horse briggs Intec motor and have rebuilt it.put new rings, cam, piston rod, head gasket, and valve cover gasket. Got it all back to gether and cut my two acers and it run like it was a new mower. I went to cut yesterday and it stated of fine when I first started it but went down hill fast. Its not smoking and has great compression but it will barely run sounds like its out of time but it cant jump time and I know it was right fore I did already cut my lawn once with it. I checked the valves to see if mabey one or both had backed off mabey but they were both fine as well. what am I over looking? THANKS FOR ANY INFO FELLAS

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Carb loose? maybe flooding. I am assuming that there is still plenty of oil in the crankcase. thinking outloud.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my ol-man and I found my problem. We discovered that the key-way was sheared and in fact was out of time. and of corse after tearing down that motor twice to find. now I can safely say I have a killer headacke and can remove tear down and rebuild and reinstall a 17 horse briggs in about an hour.:confused2:

4. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I"l give you a hell yell on that one!

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sometimes when they shut down, they backfire some, and it's enough to shear the key. Later Andy