John Boats and Duck Blinds

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by DuckHunterChuck, Mar 1, 2006.

1. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im looking in to getting a boat with a blind on it. What is the minimal length that i can get, but still have a safe boat? And, does anyone have any good blind building tips?

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Boat size really depends on what type of water you will be hunting over. If it's just marshy areas, a canoe would suffice. But if it's big water, the bigger the water, the bigger the boat you need. Also consider how many other people will be in the boat with you. A 16' jon would probably have to be one of the most popular duck hunting boats out there.

3. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I use a 1542 SeaArk. I built my blind to swivel down when underway and swivel up once I get the decoys out and ready to hunt. I use 1" angle for the base with 2 holes drilled through, 1 to lock in the down position and 1 to lock in the up position. I am 6"1" and 275lbs, my hunting buddy is 5'9" and 200lbs, and we have a fat lab. The three of us, 2 guns and a couple of bags of decoys are comfortable. I hunt on a decent sized river and a couple of large lakes. Duxsrus is right about the boat size, you don't want to go small on big water or a lot of equipment. It makes for a dangerous ride.

4. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We have one that is on a 16 footer. I would agree with the rest that a 16 or 18' jon would be the best. I personally think it is better to custom make your blind than buy one because I dont think much of the store bought ones. Just figure out where you will be huntin and how many people you plan on taking and make it that big. It comes in really handy if you or someone you know can weld too because I think an aluminum blind is the way to go. Ours we made so that it can come off the boat for when we use the boat for something other than hunting. There are so many cool boat blinds out there you just have to decide what you need, what you can afford and just look at others and pictures and then you can create the perfect blind for your needs.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I used to not be a fan of commercial blinds either. I have made all of my blinds for my previous boats. I did a lot of researching on the new commercial blinds out there before buying my blind for my new boat. After much thought, I went with the "Duck Island" blind from Gooseview. It's the best commercial blind I've seen made yet. They're on sale right now too. Just do a search for Gooseview amd you'll find their site. Or PM me. They have got some pictures of my boat on their site.

6. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Nice boat and blind you got there dux:thumbsup:

7. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey thanks. About the only areas around here that I fish or hunt on is some pretty big waters and there's always plenty of people that are wanting to go so last year I just decided to upgrade and have another payment for a while.

8. steilburnr

steilburnr New Member

State:
    ohio
    yeah duxs boat is very roomy

9. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey what's up there Rodney. Glad you found a new home. LOL

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 16' that is almost 7' wide, it works great with a avery quick set blind, for years I had a 1648 it also worked good but the wider boat is more stable and you can always use the room. I have a buddy that has a super wide 14' that works ok and a brother that has a 18' that is 96" wide at the back, and it don't matter how bad it is with it, he is about 240# and I'm around 220# and we can both stand on any corner and it takes no water, it is really stable in the water, and lots of room.

11. steilburnr

steilburnr New Member

State:
    ohio
    not much . trying to get ahold of brian to see if my mounts are ready yet. :thumbsup: