john boat trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by flatheadslayer, Dec 1, 2009.

1. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i'll splain it as best i can.i have a 14/48 john boat,and the hook on front(don't know what its called)where you hook the winch hook keeps splitting the aluminum.i've had it welded 2 times,and it just does it again,not on the weld but next to it(that gets exspensive).i don't use it to pull the boat onto the trailor unless i have no other way of doing it.its tearing from the boat bouncing on rough roads.does anyone have any advice on fixing this problem?thanx

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Preston try putting a 2nd tie down strap on the front of the boat like you have across the stern ,that should hold the bow down an not let it move ,bounce so much

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Strap you boat to ur trailer better maybe...make sure it is as tight as possible??? just my 2 cents...Not worth more thaa one though:smile2::smile2:

4. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    hey preston i would have to say strap around the front would be the way to go. and dont winch it down extremely tight. hope this helps!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Would it be possible to put an eye on the boat similar to those on fiberglass boats. If your current eye is welded directly to the boat, have them drill a hole or two (whichever is necessary) and have a backing plate installed on the inside of the aluminum skin. Sounds like your just putting too much stress on the aluminum skin. Get something there you can put bolts through and fasten the puppies with some a flat plate, lock washers and lock nuts...preferably stainless steel. To keep on welding a replacement eye on the boat the same manner as before is just self defeating.

6. Here ya go my friend, something like this. The first pic is a common setup, but I don't like the thin chinsy plating, and it isn't countoured to the shape of the bow.

Using the #2 and #3 pics as a reference, I made a homemade backing plate out of some aluminum stock, and made a piece also for the front and sandwiched them all together with a heavy eye bolt and silicone/sealer. It will out last the boat.:wink:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    A picture of your boat and trailer set up would help.

OR, slow down on bumpy roads:wink:

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think a ratchet strap across the bow will take care of that problem

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I have a buddy who had the same problem. The cause on his was too much flex in the trailer that caused constant stress on the hook by working it back and forth as the trailer deflected. It's a lot bigger boat, though.

As usual, Lawrence is on the money, a bigger backing plate with a fastener pattern to better spread the load would probably help a bunch.

10. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thanks for all the advice,brother got the problem solved with some help from brother northporttroller.thanx everyone.:0a31:

11. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Give this a try.. Go to your nearest Dollar Tree or something close and buy those double barreled 2 part expoy syringes. The kind that gels in 5 minutes and is fully cured in 24 hours.

remove the draw hook or whatever from the front .Now mix 7 or 8 of the epoxys in a throw away bowl.. smooth it in place and then place a plate of steel or aluminum over it and press gently in place.. LEt the stuff cure for 24 hours and then drill the holes back out.

The expoy will spread the strain over a much greater area. And if you get the stuff at a dollar store you come out with a fix for 10 bucks or less.
    Good luck with it.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    First thing I would do is find another welder.
    Anybody worth a crap at what they do for a living could see what was going on and do something besides just weld it to break again.

13. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    first off the welder did what i paid him to do,he told me it would do it again at some point,did what i had to do in a pinch.how would you know who's worth a crap anyways?

14. Don't worry about him, the NPT redneck/backyard workshop will have ya fixed up soon pal.:wink:

15. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thanks yeah i know we got it under control,red neck style,only way to go.thanx NPT.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And he took your money anyway.

17. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    he did EXACTLY what i paid him to do.

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Preston you might also want to look a the rollers on your trailer.
    You might be able to adjust them different so you can eleiminate
    any bounce or stress.

19. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I would sat that you need to look at your trailer bunk - bow suport set up, sounds like your trailer isn't holding the boat correctly up front.
    post a clear pic of the front of the boat on the trailer with all of the trailer and bow in the pic.
    Ill bet we can steer ya in the right direction then

20. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I had a similar problem. The eye on the boat didn't crack but the rope on the winch did several times from bouncing up and down. The strap on the winch was replaced with a rope by the previous owner. I discovered that the tongue had been extended but the welds were cracked and the only ones that held were the ones on the front where the old tongue slid inside the new one. Easy fix, I put 4 grade 8 bolts through the old and new tongue sections where they overlap. This spring I'll get the welding redone maybe but it doesn't seem to need it. Long story short, The trailer had a pivot point that caused the middle of the trailer to bounce up and down causing a lot of tugging on the winch which I replaced with a new one with a new strap. It worked great when I took it to Missouri but that was the last time I took it out last fall before I stored it for the winter. Check your trailer for structural problems.