John Boat stabilizer???

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by muskyman, Jul 9, 2007.

1. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    My cousin and I got this cool john boat but man the thing needs some type of stabilizers cause I get the heebeejeebees when my cousin moves around in it. I saw some stabilizers in cabelas, but man they aint cheap. Anyone have any ideas ?

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    PVC pipes. Use large PVC filled with foam connect them to the boat with C clamps. You can make them as long as needed and place them as far from the boat as needed. When your not using them they can be took off in a few seconds and straped in the boat for transport.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Forget the foam. Air is lighter then foam and more bouyant.

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Water can displace air but it won't displace foam. There is a good reason why boat makers use foam to fill the under sides of the seats in Jon boats. That reason being as stated above.

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'd go with air. I think the reason they use foam in boats is that to utilize air, the spaces have to always remain water tight. Easier to just fill it with foam.

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    They use foam because a boat has to meet the specs of the USCG and those specs can't be met by using air. If a boat takes on water the foam keeps it afloat. If it didn't have the foam the water would displace the air and down goes your boat.

Take 2 jars fill one with foam and leave the other full of air. Then pour water into them both and see witch one hold more water.

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    why deal with the weight of foam inside the pvc?
    just prime it and glue it. This works inside the walls of your house where the water is under pressure doesnt it?

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yes but they will also leak at times and in the middle of a big lake or river is not the time to find out you have a bad leak and the pipe is filling with water. I've worked with PVC pipe over 25 years and seen to many leaks to think it could never happen. Just because it didn't leak today don't mean it's not gonn leak tomorrow.

9. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
    no need for agument kiddos.... if you have the time, resources and desire for the foam do it that way..... if not, just use air.... simple....

sorry, have kicked into "mama mode" cause my kids and grandbabies are coming to visit :eek:oooh:

no offense meant and i hope none taken. :roll_eyes:

10. TScottW99

TScottW99 New Member

State:
    NRV, VA
    My hunting buddy made some for his canoe. Works great. He used smaller PVC and wrapped it in pool noodles. Then tapped the pool noodels to the PVC.

The front end plowed so he then added a 45* elbow and some pipe and bent the pool noodles. It ain't pretty but it sure helps us on his small boat :big_smile:

He also made it so you can slide the "pontoons" toward the canoe for transport by drilling holes and adding pins.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The US Coastguard doesnt require foam. They require a portion of the vessel to stay above water for a set number of hours.
    This can be done with foam or sealed compartments.
    Its cheaper for boat manufacturers to go the foam route labor wise the way boats are built.
    Many of your better custom built boats utilize an "egg crate" design under the sole . These compartments are sealed and empty. Holing the boat wont sink it. You would have to breach a good number of the compartments to attempt to sink the vessel and in many case if the breach didnt go through bottom of the boat and the sole it aint going to sink. Its just going to ride low.
    Same principle the shipping industry uses. They have air tight bulkheads. You can flood several compartments and limp her home.

Jon boats have foam under the seats because they are "cheap boats".
    They would be better off with sealed compartments. Less weight and the bugs and water wouldnt have foam to ruin.

A gallon of expanded foam is going to weigh around 10 pounds.
    The misnomer is that foam will make something float higher. It actually works the other way. Since foam has its own weight to bear its going to make whatever you put it in float lower. air is lighter then foam.

12. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton

uummmm Mark, isn't that what they said about the titanic?

13. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    brothers, i`d like to add my ten cent`s worth. in my past i have had to
    replace several sub-floors in boats, i have yet to see foam [that with age ]
    that hasn`t become a sponge, soaking up all the water it can hold.
    so i really like the air idea best.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Foam today is much better then in prior years IF boat manufacturers will use the good stuff.
    I saw first hand the floor come out of boat that a member here owns. A 17 footer. The foam used was the green foam used in fake flower arrangements. You know, the stuff you poked your finger in as a kid?
    Yea, the manufacturer put that crap in it.
    When it was all said done there was conservatively a 1000 pounds of foam pulled from that hull including multiple 16 gallon shop vacs full of water emptied.
    I have lost all faith in maufacturers building boats personally. They'll cut corners cutting corners from looking at the ones I've ripped into.

Todays foams are 100% better if they use them BUT even they will soak a little water over time if standing water is left in contact with it for extended periods of time like months. I like foam not for flotation value as much as I like it for sound deadening and as a shock absorber.
    When I build and use foam I'll do the egg crate thing seal the perimeter and install the floor. Take a hole saw and cut a 2 inch hole in each crate I want to foam and pour foam in it carefully to avoid destroying the boat. Glue the circle back in the hole and glass the deck with epoxy. (Too much expanding foam poured at one time will literally blow a boat apart whether its wood, fiberglass, composite , or aluminum.) Something has got to give and it wont be the expanding foam. A 2" hole provides a nice "blow hole".
    Atleast in this manner if water somehow manages to get to a compartment and its foam becomes compromised it cant migrate through the whole boat.
    Typically I wouldnt foam the whole hull. I would use sealed compartments and foamed compartments depending on the hull design.

The key is making sure you have plenty of pipe below the sole going to different places from the console so you can add those gadgets later without alot of hassle.

15. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Foam may noy be the best but it is better than nothing. PVC will some day some way leak and water filled PVC doesn't FLOAT. Try 6" PVC filled with as many 2 liter drink bottles full of air. Check regularly for sloshing. The more sealed bottles the better.

16. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    how might one go about mounting these on a 14' v bottom...........

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Pvc is easy but dead weight. I saw some pics of some spontoons(?) a guy made for the back of his fiberglass boat out of foam and he just glassed right over the foam cores and built them right onto his boat. It looked slick. It wouldn't weigh much. The big pvc seems kinda heavy to me. I am not dismissing the idea but just the thought of using something that seems rather heavy to gain flotation seems like a small gain. Too bad there aren't long & straight inner tubes that you could just strap on. Tough, light, easy to see if it was defective, etc.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lmao, How did this thread turn to rocket science? Tell your cousin to sit his butt down! :eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's all rocket science!:tounge_out:

I agree with Josh. PVC pipe in larger sizes is heavy, and expensive.

Just bare foam would probably give the most bang for the buck, short of milk jugs.

Save your pocket change for a couple of years, and buy a bigger boat.:big_smile: