John Boat Rod Holders Below The Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by POLECAT, May 26, 2008.

1. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    Got my little 14 ft John last year and struggled with rod holder brackets to fit the round 1 1/4 rail. I found brackets but they didnt hold the rod holders tite enough. Finally bought the driftmaster holders and found just what I needed to mount them to the round rail at work. I was walking thru the shop at the trucking company I work for and looked up at the mirror on a truck door and there it was - an aluminum CB antanae mounting bracket that bolts to the round mirror bracket arm. I drilled 2 holes directly under the round boat rail and bolted them in place and the drift master fit perfectly in the hole already there for the antanae. I slipped the drifmaster in and put a washer and tap on it and used the wing nut already provided as the method to tighten it. Now I've got rod holders that are solid and will really hold on tite. Here's some pics attached at the bottom so you can see what I've done. Paul

Attached Files:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    looks good & like they would work

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for a great idea. This is a typical problem with a lot of john boats. Looks like you have solved it.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice work Paul. A friend give me 6 driftmasters last weekend that i mounted on a bar across the back. I like em alot.

5. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    I like them too ! Tried some cheaper one's from B.P. and when I took them back and they ask why I told them they were junk and I didnt want to loose a good rod -- they let me trade them in on the drift masters. Now that I have the drift masters mounted right they'll really hold a good tug !

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i lose the rod rack and drift masters, it's gonna be bad. This will mean i've knocked the transom out and the ship is sinking:smile2:. I had some el-cheapo's from wally world and feared losin my rods too.

7. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    How much are those brackets and where can you get them? I just hate drilling holes through my boat but good idea.:big_smile:

8. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    I think about any truck stop, CB radio shop and they cant be much more than a few bucks. I got mine off some older trucks we are trading in. Jump on the net and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of them. Paul

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    however myself personally I would have the brackets mounted on the inside of the boat.Makes me a bit nervious seeing those rods sticking out over the water like that. Rather have them just a bit more inside the boat.
    Thats just me I'm a big worry wart anyway.:roll_eyes:

10. POLECAT

POLECAT New Member

State:
    MISSOURI SPRINGFIELD
    I know what you mean John -- I thought about that too but I struggle for room in that little boat. I thought a 14 ft'r would be plenty for me and the wife but now I wish I'd bought a little bigger one, this one is just a little on the narrow side.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It's great to have friends like that.