John boat for a big guy?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Randync, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    One of the nice guys who posts here, was telling me about a local bank fishing spot. I told him I planned to buy a pontoon boat in a couple of years. He told me I could buy a John Boat for a good price new or used (wasn't trying to sell me one or anything) to tide me over till I buy a nice boat.
    My problem is Im 6ft foot and around 300 pounds. Am I too big for a John Boat? Nobody will hurt my feelings if yall say Id sink it, or it wouldn't move or anything:lol: Id be fishing a small lake(Lookout Shoals) in NC.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you would defantly sink it if u forget the plug lol but u being too big naw
    i weight about 230 and im 5'11 and ive had me and someone around 300 # on the boat with me no problems and i have a 14' V bottom aluminum you will be fine wider is better though. i have a 15 hp eveinrude and it pushed use around ok

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a 1648, I have had over 700 lbs of people with no problem, I wouldn't get in a high wind and depending on size and width of the boat, learn how far you can lean over the side without tipping to far. I had a 12 foot that I carried over 300 lbs. in sometimes.

Jim

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You are only too big if your boat is to small, that is with anybody. I would suggest you get a boat with at least a 48" floor width. Like a model 1648 which is a 16' boat with a 48" floor. Stay away from anything like a 1436 which obviously is a 14' boat with a 36" floor. I myself am not that big. only about 175 lbs and my fishing partner is around 200lbs my old 1436 would get the job done but you would have to be very careful and only one person could move around at a time. I then up graded to a wider floor width and it made all the difference in the world. Now we both can stand up, walk around and move around at the same time and we don't even have to be in the center of the boat. However fishing a jon boat with 2 people is a lot easier than one because the weight is distributed better with weight in the front and the back instead of the "popping a wheelie" method of being the only person in the back of the boat. As long as your boat is stable enough and you are comfortable and can move around without panic you should be fine.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think John boats Up to 8 ft.wide and 24 ft.long are still being made.There are plenty smaller ones that would handle 2 of your size,motor and gear.I would want a least 14 ft.long and 54 in.wide minimum.72 in.wide would be even better.peewee-williams

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm pretty sure you wont sink it unless it is really really small. Like if you could fit it in the bed of a pick up truck it would probably be too small.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well There Are Alot Of Boats Out There For Big Men. Look For High Sides And Wide Bottoms And You Will Be Ok. My Dad Is Over 350 And He Rides And Moves Around In My Smokercraft 18' Just Fine.

8. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey thanks for all the replies everyone. And as a matter of fact a few years ago when I was a sissy who thought boats were for playing and not fishing, I had a 15 foot ski boat. First time I took it out, I forgot the plug. Didn't even know it had to have a plug:embarassed: luckily my uncle was with me, knew all along what was going to happen. He decided to let me learn about the plug the hard way. I never forgot it again.

9. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    haah yea a plug can be important ;)

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i forgot the plug along time ago once and every since then i have been anal about the plug guess it only takes once lol

11. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    No you are not to big I tell ya what my I personalyy have a 14ft. V-haul with a 10hp evinrude and it does the trick. I am 6ft and 320 and my wife and both kids come along on the boat sometimes. My buddy has a 16ft. jon boat that is 6ft. wide and has a 25hp merc on it and it is sweet. It is pretty quick for a 25hp and it pushes my buddy who is also about 300lb his brother-in-law at 220 and his brothers son at 140 combined with me and we only need about 8in. of water to run in.

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    yes ditto Big Mike, I'm 330lbs at 6'2" and I had a 14 jon that was a whole lot of fun. I actually had myself and 3 other people in it on the Mississippi river with no problem at all. I had a 20 evinrude on it and it got around extremely well. Later Andy

13. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    AHH, I've had several plug nightmares..one was in a tournement..perhaps the worst. You'd think I'd have learned the first time, but sometimes I just get too excited when I'm getting ready to launch and completley forget about it

14. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well Im 30 years old and my ol man is 48 and we fish out of a 12 foot little john. im 6'3" 260lbs and my ol man comes in around 6'3 and 330lbs. we only use the john in the swamps and strip pit mine close to here and we have no problem at all. BUT the nose of the boat with me up front skulling the boat sits about 4 inches out of the water witch is fine for the waters we fish in it but the lake here I wouldnt be cought dead out in it ,thats what my 16 foot fish n ski is for.

15. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey brother im 6'4" and weigh 315 and i fish out of a 16' foot g3 with a 25hp merc all the time never sank it

16. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    I'm 6'3"...330lbs and I can stand on one of the corners on the stern of my boat and she won't even think about rocking. It's a War Eagle 2072, I won't go out on the river on anything smaller. There are some nice, used big john boats out there that can be purchased for a reasonable price. They're just what the Dr. ordered for us big guys!!:cool2:

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I'm a 300#er myself and used a 1448 for 20 years with no problem. Moved up to a 1754SC w/75 hp 4 stroke last summer when I started fishing big river water--no problems.:smile2:

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 14ft flatbottom jon boat, we have had over 800-lbs of weight in it with no problems.

19. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think I will be buying one then. I may not even get a pontoon boat as quickly as I had planned if the John Boat works out. Ive got 4 kids who all love the water plus my future wife (if she buys me a John Boat lol) so Im wanting something with alot of room. But a John Boat will do me fine for now. Thanks for all the replies and info about the boats.

20. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    RandyNC, Toons are great if your going out on the lake with the wife and kids.. if your going on the river to fish or just kick back for a few hours..jons are the best.. I have a 16' monarch and have no problems with it besides a few pesty leaks.. I weigh about 265 and my son goes 230 and with all our gear my 25 pushes it just fine.. I used to have a 9.9 on it and didn't have a problem with it except for speed. The only thing I would comment on is watch when you are looking for these wide boats..some of them are heavy! Mine is not that bad..I have been looking at an older boat that has a 6' top..that is about a foot wider than mine.. I saw one last week on the river that has a 6' bottom and 72 at the top and the guy has a 90 horse merc..says it gets him around but does not break any speed records..that boat is heavy! You'll find running a jon up on a dike or a mud bank is easier than trying to dock a toon in a river..good luck. One other thing to remember..try to go as big as your motor will push..after 6 months you will be wondering why you didn't buy the bigger boat!! I think someone called that foot idiss??:cool2: