Joe Pool Lake! - Anyone Fish this Lake?

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by HUSKER77, Feb 26, 2006.

1. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    i Was Just Wondering If Any Of You Fish Or Have Fished Joe Pool Lake? If You Have What Areas Do You Catfish The Most?
    Thank Ya'll!

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    John, I haven't catfished there yet but plan too this year. Got to find a spot the big boats can't get to. I think the south/west side near Belt Line Rd where all the trees are would be a good place to try. I've Bass fished there and did pretty good. Cat fishing should do good there all so. Hybred fishing is great out there.

3. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Husker,
    I have a friend that fishes that lake regularly. He is also a BOC member. He is Coloman. I bet he can help you on this lake. I have fished that lake one time last year but had no luck and I plan on fishing Joe Pool this year to find some good spots.
    I bet if you send Coloman a private message, he will contact you later.
    I hope he can help you.
    Good luck

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Went to the pool Friday nite just to mess around at the State Park. Got there at 7:00pm and had to leave by 10:00pm park closes. We fished 6 poles all with DK. We went to the far end of the park and threw out range cubes and started fishing. We got bites (very light bites) the entire time we were there but no takers. I really never have had such a light bite like we were getting. It was like a bluegill bite. Just peck-peck-peck........
    The bites started as soon as the first bait got set out, and it never really stopped the whole time we were there. Very aggervating to get a bite and then no takers.

5. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    LOL, LOL, LOL!!
    I CANT STOP LAUGHING!!!!
    LOL!!
    SORRY, BUT THAT IS VERY, VERY FUNNY!!
    IT MAKES IT FUNNY WHEN IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME ONCE WHEN I WAS OUT THERE. THE IRONIC PART IS THAT I WAS USING THE SAME BAIT!?!
    I'M NOT GOING TO START ANYTHING ON DK BECAUSE I KNOW IT CATCHES ALOT OF FISH, BY THE TESTIMONIALS HERE ON THE BOC AND LUKE CLAYTON'S TALK SHOW! BUT I DID HAVE THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME ALSO! IVE GONE STRICTLY TO LIVE BAIT, CUT BAIT, SHAD OR SHRIMP AT THE POOL!
    THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW HOW THE TRIP WENT! LOL, CANT STOP!
    MAYBE WE CAN GET TOGETHER AND CATCH SOME GOOD SIZE FLAT'S!!!
    FEEL FREE TO PM ME ANY TIME!

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Just saw on the news, Joe Pool has opened the flood gates.... Haven't seen that in a very long time. From my last post on 03-08-06 we were standing on the bottom of the lake about 8' or more away from the bank.

7. catrat

catrat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anybody know a good bankfishing spot on Joe Pool? :cool:

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    About the only place I've tried bank fishin' at the pool was in the State Park. Their are alot of places to fish, I'd go back in as far as ya can go and if I remember right their is a real nice drop off close to the bank or maybe it's a cut , then about 50 yards out (when the lake was down real low) is a rise or lil island that slops off to either side. To me this spot would be great, ya got shallow water droping off real fast then a hump out a ways that should bring in all kinds of fish. All with in castin' distance.
    Just down from the last boat ramp is a place that just slopes off real far out. I've had good luck with this type of change at other lakes....

9. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm happy to have found this group of folks. This is my first post here on this forum. I live in Mansfield, TX so the discussion of DFW area fishing holes has my undivided attention.

I work at the Arlington Municipal Airport and would like to find someone to go out fishing with to learn the right way (or at least a way that works) to catch cats locally. Joe Pool is the most convenient. Loyd Park is just across 360 from me. Anything on Joe Pool or Lake Arlington would be fine.

I grew up throwing 50 pound test line in the Mississppi River across from Blytheville, AR with my dad fishing for big cats, but after I turned 10, we didn't get out much.

I went out to Loyd Park on Joe Pool this afternoon to try my hand at it. The lady at the front gate said to go to the parking for the boat ramp, walk down the trail to the creek and that'd be the place to fish.

I was intent on using a dipping worm on a #4 treble, fishing on the bottom with Hog Wild Blood punch bait. I set up two rigs to fish that way and threw them out. I got lots of interested nibbles, but no real takers. Eventually, I did pull one out, but he was barely 12 inches long, and I didn't really feel like ending his young life. So, the CPR principle, except I didn't get a picture.

I was fishing one of the creeks that empty into JP and it had a slight current working towards the lake. The water was muddy (imagine that after all the historic rain weekend before last) and there seemed to be plenty of cover for the fish. I went out from about 2 until 5:30 in the afternoon. The guys fishing beside me were tearing up the Crappie. Using a jig no more than 3 feet from the bank and during the time I was out there, 2 different fishermen pulled out 10 each. I almost decided Pan fish beats no fish, but I kept the faith.

What would be a better approach to finding good eating sized cats here? Or, should I go to a different part of the lake? Even then, if you would, give me an idea of a better bait solution. I tried the Hog Wild because I've seen it in action down on Lake Whitney. I was truly impressed.

Sorry if this one post covered too many topics, I only have a million questions left...:)

Thanks,

Gary

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Gary, welcome to the BOC, ya have just found the last web site ya will ever go to. Trust me on this, ain't another one like it.
    If ya want to meet a few good ol' boys from Texas and Olka. come to the Gathering on Texoma 7th- 9th of this month. Ya can find all the info in the Texas thread on the main page or the garthering thread on the main page.
    Coleman fishes Pool alot and he can tell ya where to go.
    It's funny ya mention the lil bites ya got. A post or two before yours I talked about the same thing out there as did Husker77.

Ever tried Danny King Punch Bait ? Get ya some !!!!!!!!!!! This is the best punch bait out there hands down. Danny is a sponsor and a few guys sell it here on the BOC. Or ya can buy lil tubs of it at Walmart.

Make plans to attend, most of us have never met before but we are all brothers so come on and go !

11. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tomorrow after I get off work, a buddy and I are headed out to Joe Pool to spend the evening and part of the morning fishing. I have 100 pounds of range cubes, DK, Hog Wild, and a cast net, three rod/reels, 15 jugs, and a can of beer. (Okay, there may be more than one can in the cooler...)

Our plan is to gather a couple of dozen or so little perch, set out the jugs over one of the chummed areas, then go back and get another couple dozen perch. I figure we'll chum two other places that look good on the lake map and drop the lines off the edge of the boat as we relax and enjoy the evening.

Hopefully, I'll be posting pictures. If my luck holds out, maybe not. I know, the power of positive thinking. We'll give Joe Pool a shot or two before trying Lake Arlington. If that doesn't work, we'll spen a weekend out at Lake Fork. I hear that's the place to find good ones.

Wish us luck. It's odd, though, doing a fishing trip like this during the week. My buddy works Fri, Sat, Sun 13 hour shifts so weekend fishing is out for him. I have a good job with fairly flexible hours so I'll just come in late Thursday. (Sharing a fillet or three with the boss helps!)

I'll post the results later. BTW, John, thanks for the tip.

Gary

12. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good luck out there, sounds like ya got a good plan.Ya should do good. Get ya some Fork fishin' in also and don't forget about my favorite Cat lake Tawakoni it's a very short drive from Lake fork.

13. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    We made it out to Joe Pool Wednesday evening. Gentle breezes, 60 degree temps, full moon, and not a cloud in the sky. One fantastic evening for fishing.

I caught some shad by the boat launch ramp and we used that to bait some jugs. We laid out some range cubes in the vicinity of the jugs, in 12 feet of water on a point where any farther out, you'd be quickly doubling the water depth then some.

We anchored the boat in about 10 feet and dropped more range cubes around the boat. 6 hours later, 4 channels, only one too small to keep. Nothing to write home about, though. I was trying to figure out how to make the fish cleaning table look smaller and the fish look bigger in the picture I took. So, I'll just be honest...these were just about right for eating.

My buddy and I each had similar setups. I had Hog Wild Blood bait on one hook and DK punchbait on the other pole on the other side of the boat. I caught two cats on the jugs with the shad, one on the DK, one on the Hog Wild.

I wish the fishing would have been better, but I'm happy we didn't go home empty handed. Next, I need to learn to get better at picking out the spots to try on the lake. I have a map that shows all of the underwater relief, brushpiles, roads, bridges, and who knows what else...

Where to fish? We were at the Mustang Creek cove, on the point just north of Coyote Crossing camping area in the state park. So, If anyone wants to try to benefit from the cattle feed we threw out, there it is.

Where'd be a better place on this lake to fish?

Thanks,

Gary

14. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here's a picture of the fish we caught the other night at Joe Pool Lake. We caught 4 cats and one bass. The littlest cat and the bass live to be caught another day. The other three sure tasted good.

Attached Files: