Joe Pool after the flood

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catfisher, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Went out this afternoon looking for 3 nice eaters for dinner. That's all I wanted, just three. Well, we caught 4, all either right at 12 inches or less...2 Channels and 2 Yellows. Didn't keep any of them.

We launched at Loyd Park and went just north of Lynn Creek Point. We placed 15 jugs in the channel about 30 yards east of the timber, baited with raw shrimp.

Before we got them all out, we caught the first little channel. Then, we went up into the timber just off the Lynn Creek channel, tied up and fished with Danny Kings PB for another 2 or 3 hours. Never got a bite on the DK, didn't see the jugs flagging or anything, but pulled three little ones off the jugs right before we were headed home.

I know it was the first day after a torrential rainfall, but where are these fellas hiding? Granted, we didn't look around a lot, but thought for sure there would have been more action on the creek channel beds. Any tips? How do we handle the next week while all this rain gets settled in.

Loyd Park boat ramp is fine, but the park around the dock is flooded and the walk bridge to the dock is under water. Lot's of driftwood out there, I guess that's what you'd expect after all this rain. It's the first time I've seen JP like this.

Any pointers?

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    JP is loaded with LITTLE cats. I have only seen 3 good cats come out of that lake, and they where caught by my neighbor. I have try ed just about everything to get bigger cats without much luck.

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I would look in the shallow water where grass has been covered.

4. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    THERE ARE BIG FLAT-HEADS ON THE STATE PARK SIDE GARY!
    LOL!!!

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    John
    Good to see you post agine!

6. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey Coloman,

Are you ever willing to go out with me on Joe Pool and help educate me about this lake. I live in Mansfield and it's literally right down Debbie Lane to the Loyd Park Boat ramp. I've got an annual pass. My boat is small, but no leaks!!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

Sometimes I have a day or half day off during the week to go fishing. Heck, I'd buy you lunch!

I talked to Al and he said you're great on Joe Pool!

7. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    How about I take ya out to Tawakoni and you buy me lunch? I'm all over that! haha. Good luck at Joe Pool.

8. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've never been to Tawakoni. I hear there's lots of good sized cats there, but it's a good drive from here.

I ain't proud!!!! If you're really offering a trip to Tawakoni, I'd go. Buy your lunch, too. If you're joking, you got me!!!:big_smile:

9. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yah, anytime. I usually take my 7 year old and sometimes my 13 year old nephew. I actually don't know Tawakoni that well. We usually just head over to the dam and fish the rocks. Cleaned 98 in 2 weekends a few weeks ago. Tried again last weekend, but the wind was blowing and we braved 2.5-3ft swells to get to the dam. When the anchor wouldn't hold we turned around and loaded up.

I've really been thinking about going out with a guide to learn a little more about the lake and the hot spots though. If I do, or if you're still interested, let me know.

Good luck on JP.

10. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    WE HAVE GOT TO KEEP THIS JOE POOL THREAD GOING!!!
    LOL!
    COME ON GARY!!!

11. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    never been catfishin at joe pool, but there are some huge carp, try and fish by the Oasis, its a restaraunt, and theres thousands of 10+ carp! tried to catch some with my hand, no dice.

12. Catfisher

Catfisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeah, I guess Joe Pool is somewhat laughable as a good catfish lake. It's probably the newest one of all the Metroplex lakes.

I have pictures (slides) of the area when TRA was making the lake. It's wierd to see the Lake Ridge Parkway bridge and Lynn Creek Marina in place but no water.

I'm trying to get the slides over to digital pictures so I can put them all on a disc.

I guess I like Joe Pool for two reasons. One is that it's just right down the road from my house. The second is that I love eating fresh catfish fillets. So, my quarry tends to be small, eater-sized cats. The big ones are fun, though I've never tangled with a huge fish...To me, a huge fish would be in the 30-plus range. Small to some, but to me, huge.

Perhaps a camping trip to Tawokoni is in order some day. :big_smile: