Jobs that are "Different"

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Aug 20, 2009.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Times change and this job has hopefully been eliminated with GPS.

Back in the late 70's I lived in a SE.Missouri town. My girlfriend's brother was a "Flagman" for a crop duster. I'll call him Bob (not his real name).

Bob made $5.00 an hour to flag for a crop duster. He wore white pants, long sleeved white shirt, and a large white hat, and a bandana on his face. He had to carry a long pole (about 20') with a big white flag on the top. On a cotton field, the plane could spray about 20 rows. Bob would stand at 10 rows (dead center of the spray pass) and wave the flag frantically. The pilot would line up with the row Bob was in and begin to spray. Bob would then run down 20 more rows and wait for the pass. When the plane was comming AT him, he had time to almost get out of the way. On the return pass, he didn't stand a chance. I have no idea what happened to him because I only lived there for a couple years but I figure he didn't have much of a retirement plan.

I know that he wasn't the only one and would like to hear about someone you know that did this.

Also, feel free to post about any other "Different" jobs.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never seen a flag man for crop dusting and I live in agri country.
    I do love to watch those spray jockeys though.
    Under the power lines down the field and straight up at the tree line.
    INSANITY.
    Has to be the best thrill ride ever.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had a ride with a crop duster one time. Scariest ride I ever had on anything. I rode in the space where his chemicals usually was. I wouldn't do it again. He has since died in a crop dusting accident.:crazy:

4. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Remember that this was in the 70's

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've had some weird jobs. One was working as a Chicken Neck Skinner. I've skinned millions of chicken necks for lady's lipstick! Ha, Ha,:wink::smile2:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I had a job once many moons ago. It was pickin fly crap outa pepper with boxin gloves on. :wink:

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Never seen crop duster flag man but I always like the ¼ mile flag girls when we raced on back roads. They did a good job. LOL.

Growing up, we had a skeeter man that drove a look a like small cement looking truck, spraying skeeters. That thing would fog up a neighborhood for ½ hour.
    I had some friends who ran behind it, rode bikes through the fog etc. thought it was fun thing to do.

I haven’t heard or seen any of them in over 30 years. I have a feeling, the skeeters don’t bite em anymore.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Wish i had a scanner so i could show some pic's of my.. Dad in the crawl space doing the electrical work on the Apollo space craft's ..how he fit in there is beyond me ?

9. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Come on, BG, that's still what you do!!:wink:

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

See if your pepper is crap free now. LOL!

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That 3rd rail kinda tingles don't it?
    I can tell.

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Only if ya pee on it. LOL!

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I was a kid living in a town of 8K people in south Texas. I was the go to kid for all the older folks chores. Most of the times it was getting alive and or dead critters out from under their house, garage, behind the washing machine etc. Fun job. $0.50 a pop.
    That = 2 trips to see John Wayne movies with pop corn, coke, pickle and girlfriend

During dove season. My dad always took be hunting. I was 4 to 6 years old. If I wasn’t shooting dove, I was the kid that retrieve the birds for all the adults who shot and couldn’t fine their birds.
    Nickel a pop for each bird. I was better than any blood hound and needed bigger pockets. LOL

Then I grew up. I thought. LOL
    Got me a job in a steel mill.

Fire proof suit in dead summer heat. I was the guy who stamped the order numbers on the pipe being made. That stuff would come through a die so red hot, you could see right trough it. Flames coming off of steel pipe, I hammered several numbers on each pipe while covered in fire. I went from 160 pounds that summer to 110. Sweated it all out of me.

I was looking for the water mellon feilds after that years. LOL

Now days, me no speaky English. I think I went backwards.
    Y’all can nick name me Mater

14. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to don my dive equipment and collect golf balls out of the ponds on the golf courses..Used to get 7 cents a ball..The funnest job I had was working with my grandfather trapping..We use to trap nutria rat and gators..

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Doesn't compare with "crop dust flagging" or "chicken neck skinning" but way back in the dusty past, I "drove" a "pre push button" manual elevator in an office building for a couple years.

Believe it or don't, that did require a bit of skill.
    You might hardly notice you were moving.
    OR, If you ticked me off, I could put your stomach in your mouth with quick reverse direction, zero G stop. (Those 'Vators would haul butt, Full throttle up, full throttle back, for a perfect stop at the requested floor) It was a hoot to watch the faces turn green! :smile2::smile2:

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like fun Lawrence, but there are just too many ups and downs in the elevator business for me!!! Wasn't that punny? I know, Billie, shut up!!!:smile2:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had a job in my teens as a sharpshooter. A local farmer planted about 100 or so pecan trees,My job was to snipe the jackrabbits that came to dine on them every evening,I believe the bounty was .50 a head,But for a 13 yr old who loved to hunt,it was a blast,Besides it gave my granpa lots of fresh catfish bait for his trotlines,Yeah it made a great cut bait.

18. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I worked at a resort on an island that didnt have cars.The ferrie would come to the island ,full of people. We would stand on the dock and shout the name of the hotel we worked for.When people wanted to go to our hotel, I would load up their luggage on my bike and peddle the luggage to the hotel, about 1/2 mile from the dock.I did this for two summers working for tips.
    smokey

19. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First year in Vet School I worked the Anatomy Lab. My job was to kill the skate dogs, cats, sheep, goats. Drain their blood after hanging them up and injecting them with blue and red dyes. Then I placed their bodies in huge tanks of formaldehyde for the anatomy students to gaff out and to dissect.

Couldn't stand the smell of formaldehyde and it sure puckered up your skin when you got it on ya. Also, after burning the sensory cells in your nose after a day you couldn't tell if your date that night was wearing perfume or not, but who cares, as long as ya had a date. Didn't tell her what I did for a job though. Tended to turn them off.

20. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I used to be a whitewater raft guide on the Ocoee River in Tennessee before I started my fishing guide service. It was fun until I almost drowned. :smile2: LOL