Job interview

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by zappaf19, Feb 15, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a job interview with with the DNR as a krill clerk. They are looking for someone to take there truck and boat and go up and down rivers and do surveys with fisherman.
    Only part time but it's a job.
    Bill

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That sounds like a fun job!

3. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    That sounds very cool, good luck!:)

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Any job, is a good job.

This one sounds like a fun one.

Good Luck, and I'll be praying for you!

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I hope it works out for you. Just remember to relax and talk to them. I used to interview 4-6 hundred people each spring and often I never called them back because they stared at the floor or at least nevr made eyecontact. Oddly the handshake was my biggest cutting tool. Bad handshake=lower ranking. Be confident, open, and most of all be on time.

Be nice to work at a job where your hobby so closely follows your job. Like having two girlfriends and they are ok with it.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Sounds like a cool job. Could be a start on a new career. Maybe not. Are you saying your DNR is actually interviewing fishing people on the water? That would be a real inovation here in NC.

Wishing you the best with the interview. Please let us know how it goes.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Here in Ohio, the DNR sponsors Creel Surveys about every year somewhere, just depends on what type of data there are looking for to what types of questions you will be asking. I helped design one of the surveys they used back in 94' targeting data on one of our local Trout Rivers. The results are way more interseting then the many hour looking and stopping and asking folks but its an outdside job,durring the summer so that can be way cool. They will set up a "mail route" for you to follow with specific times and dates that will need to make the run and talk to as many folks on your local river as possible. Usually here in Ohio, they do not run rivers by boat but have you stop at certain bridges and talk to folks close to the bridge only.
    In fact when I was fishing the same river that summer, I fished like 35 days durring the survey and never once got targeted nor did I ever see the guy, made me a little leary about how good the surveys really were but I was wading away from the bridges so that is why I never got asked the questions.

The question is what types of information are they looking for? is any of it catfish related, that would be a bonus but mostly they are generalized to types of baits used, what species fishing for, how long have you been here today, have you kept any, etc.

Good deal, sounds like a Win-Win for both parties!

Now if I can just find me a "Real Job"!!

Salmonid

8. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Best of luck with your interview

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, that's pretty good. I've been interested in doing creel checks and such for the dnr here, but hadn't really pursued it until I had an opportunity to mention it while I was at the local dnr office last week. I had 2 of their people call me already about part-time work. I talked with one today, and decided to take them up with a night job at their striped bass hatchery for about 5-6 weeks. It sounds pretty interesting.
    I think the creel checks would be neat, too, to get out there and see what everyone is (really) catching. :)

10. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Doing those jobs you'll increase your fishing knowledge. Watch your catch rate soar! You'll see all the different techniques/baits people are using. You'll see what works and what doesn't. You'll see where the fish are at. Then, you'll find yourself back at the locations of the surveys that had the most/best fish with the best techniques/baits catching many fish. This is what happened to me when I would go out shocking with the D.N.R. We would come up on different spots. Some spots had no fish, some had little fish, and then you would come up on a single log that really doesn't look different than all the ones around it and BAM! Tons of fish, then you go back after work and have some fun! Same holds true for the hunters who help/volunteer for wildlife biolgists (you learn where all the best deer, turkey, etc. are)!

P.S. I have also been looking for D.N.R work, but can't find much in my area (Iowa/Illinois).

11. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Good Luck with the interview Bill. Sounds like it would be a fun job.

12. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Good luck with the interview it sounds like a really cool job.

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Good luck with your interview. I have often thought of trying for a AZ Game and Fish position when I retire from my current job in three and a half years. Sounds like a fun type of job!!

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill:

Any word on the creel clerk job? Who did you interview with?

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good luck with the job brother!!!!!

16. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Good luck on that interview as my son would say about it way cool job.:cool: