jj or cale ....

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by coach, Oct 23, 2008.

1. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i've been reading and listening to the hype about jimmy johnson's possible 3rd championship in a row .... the media is comparing his accomplishment to cale's three in a row ................ the argument for jj is that the 42 other drivers are talented and just the shear number of beating 42 others , make him the best .....................hell , i contend that if jj was racing when cale was , he would quit and open a fresh vegetable stand on the side of the hiway ......................to my idea , the last great racer was earnhardt.....since his death , it is a sport of kings , not the sport that all the old hardnosed racers started ..............not trying to start an argument !!!!! i know it is all about money ............

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Iam with you coach.I dont think driving in today races are what they were 40 years ago.Robby Gordon and Carl Edwards could hold there own with those guys off the track. I think it was kinda "you win the race I'll win the fight back then.
    smokey

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Coach, with all due respect, you are out to lunch!!:eek:oooh: Look at the parity in today's races. Basically, the teams are so close that anyone can win. To put together 3 championships in a row is an unbelievable feat. I know I am going to start a firestorm here, but Earnhardt would not be as successful in today's game. Earnhardt's car was way ahead of everyone else's at that time. Today, that's simply not the case. Look at qualifying for instance. The difference from the pole to going home may only be a couple tenths.

Granted, the drivers are much different today. They are "pretty boys" that would have a difficult time changing their own oil. However, they are experts at what they do.

I know, this post is going to get BLASTED! I am going to my bomb shelter:smile2: Oh, and did I mention that 48 ROCKS!!!!!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    nascar screwed it up long before sr died. the c.o.t. needs shoved up someones @$$ IMO.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Well it started out being a southern good ole boy sport. Sure there were some great drivers, but there were even more back then that never got to proove themselves because they wer'nt from the south or didnt have the name. Rick Jeffreys would have been a great driver in Nascar if he just would have gotten the oppurtunity. Even the likes of Sam Ard, Jack Ingram and Tommy Houston were great Busch drivers but didnt get much of a chance to race in the Winston Cup ranks back then. The owners were more loyal to their drivers then.

Now, the cup series is pretty much open to anyone who can get up on the wheel and drive a race car. With a few exceptions, if you dont perform right now, there will be a 18 year old there to take your seat. And if he doesnt perform well in a single season, theres a couple of development drivers in line waiting to turn 18 years old.

My point here is that I believe the competition is better now then it was.
    With Jimmy Johnson's background, he could drive the same car that Cale did and win 3 titles in a row just as Cale did.

6. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wolfman, Did cale work on his own car? Does Jimmie work on his own car?Granted the compation is better today but all the driver has to do is drive,and kiss his sponcers butt.I dont think Cale had a motorhome and driver for his cars to the track. I just think that Cale and all of the drivers from back in the day,had more on there plate then driving.This is a good post. I bet everyone has his or her own thoughts. Lets hear from everyone.
    smokey

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im not saying that Johnson is better than Cale, but he can work on that car if he had to. Ive personally watched him change a tranny on his CORR Pro 2 offroad truck in the pits once. Ive seen him win a off-road race without power steering once. The one thing I make my opinion on is that the cars back in the day were not as even as the cars today and one could have a huge advantage in horsepower and speed to dominate over the rest of the field with less effort. :wink: