Jim Zumbo's show pulled from The Outdoor Channel

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by blackhorse83, Feb 23, 2007.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jim Zumbo's show has been pulled from the Outdoor channel, and he is no longer writing for Outdoor life Mag., due to statements he made about AK., and AR., type rifles. Jim stated ,as I understand it, that there is no need for these types of guns, they are terriost guns. Although I have no need for one of these guns personaly, you should still be able to buy and keep any kind of gun you want. Seems like he should have known better, or just kept his mouth shut.

2. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    That was very stupid on his part, and I am glad they dumped him.
    I have the Outdoor Channel and now I will again subscribe to Outdoor Life Magazine to help support those who stand up for our rights.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    He really got slammed on the net...sponsors tripping all other themselves backpedalling.
    Here is a side note for those of you who care.
    The previous issue of O.L. introduced a new section on guns
    "..devoted to the gun nut..."
    And F. and S. has a section titled"Ask the gun nut"

Kinda like I can pick on my little brother but you can't...let a democrat or PETA member call you a gun nut and see what happens.

I'm not much of a letter writer,but O.L. seems real hypocritical to me.:roll_eyes:

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I never liked jim anyway. now i have another reason not to. the best plinking gun I ever owned was an SKS. the 7.62 x 39 cartridge is a great round to plink with. it has a light kick so kids & women wont shun pulling the trigger,& its dirt cheap.

5. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    My daughters love to shoot my AK!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That just goes against my grain Heck You DONT need an ak or an ar but they shouldent take his show off because of that statement I was one of his wholeharted fans and it was because he allways hunted like the common folk would .get out and walk ,talk to landowners and such looks like ill have to drop OLN toshow them at least some of us dont believe thier tactics.and by the way I own an SKS. but i only bought it to be just a little bit rebelous and only just before your demacratis pres bill clintonsaid he was gonnaban them i dont hardly ever shoot it

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The lesson taken from this is, don't uphold your convictions... and I don't know Jim what's his name, nor do I read the mag...:sad2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If white wine goes with fish, do white grapes go with sushi?

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    AR's are really fun, quite expensive, and so is the ammo (.223) but very fun and hardly kick! VERY FUN!!!

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Here's a link to a story on this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17307316/?GT1=9033

I don't disagree with what he said...the one time someone showed up at my camp with an AK, I asked him to put it in the truck, and leave it there.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The whole thing is stupid. He obviously wrote that as the passionate hunter he is. Obviously he isnt against gun ownership but has an opinion.
    I say the same thing. Those weapons dont belong in the hunting arena.
    I dont even want to be around alot them because they aren't the real deal. They are Norinko's and others garbage that isnt safe to be anywhere around much less be the one pulling the trigger.
    As the article stated most of the assault weapons lovers are passionate but short on cash. Thats why there is all this garbage (copied) rifles we get in this country from virtually every corner of the globe. No doubt the sale of many of these pieces of garbage do fund terrorism.

Zumbo, in his public apology, said that when he wrote the blog entry that criticized assault rifles, he was at the end of a long day's hunt.

"I was tired and exhausted," he wrote, "and I should have gone to bed early."

If he checked into a drug rehab his apology would work. Its the new rage .

11. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Do a internet search on this subject---

The anti gunners picked up on his statement and are running with it.

Taking away the AR's/Ak's leaves the door open to outlawing the Rem. 742, Ruger 10-22'S. etc.
    Autoloader shotguns would be next.

What kind of uproar would there be if one of the well known Bass fisherman on the tournament circuit made the statement that catfish fishing should be outlawed!

It was poor judgment on his part to say the least, his career is over.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Some times people don`t know when to keep there mouths shut

13. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Theres no doubt that our right to bear arms is always under attack from critics and polititions alike. What about the right to free speech? Zumbo should not be publically austrasized for voicing an opinion on a weapon that traditionally has more of a history on the battle field than in hunting camp. His choice of words may have been poor but the man has a steller reputation in the outdoor world for his advocy of sportsmans rights.

I have my own opinions too and i dont own a weapon that was made in korea or pakistan. I still try to buy american........

Dru

14. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thats a remark Jim Zumbo should have weighed in on before making it.The right to keep and bear arms sets us apart from the terrorist countries in the world. What makes an assault weapon an assault weapon ???????? According to capitol hill critics if its painted black its an assault weapon.....if its semi-automatic its an assault weapon........holds over five rounds in a magazine its an assault weapon......thumbhole in the stock its an assault weapon. Well, that just classified about half of all your Ruger 10/22 squirrel guns as assault weapons, not to mention Benelli shotguns. These are no more than options and no different from options available on autos. Look at all the car bombings killing our troops........when do we start calling certain brands of autos ASSAULT AUTOS. And how about fertilizer........weve used nitrogen for years,never killed anybody with it........should it be assault fertilizer ???? For years Ive enjoyed Jim Zumbos shows but if he made those remarks, he recieved his just punishment. One last thought.....dead from grandpas one shot Ted Williams 22 is just as dead as from a Armalite AR 15 Firearm. The weapon will never change the way terrorist think or act. The sole responsibility lies in the person behind the firearm

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sometimes the reader has to be able to take something into context of which it was written.
    Unfortunately no writer can do that 100% of the time.
    I've often chuckled when I typed something but every single person that read it interpreted it differently then I intended. Not real hard to do.

Shame on a writer, television personality etc that wont give their opinion once in a while.
    If a writer writing about hunting topics or different guns cant interject his opinion what good is what he is writing? It has absolutely no value in my book.
    Evidently this gentleman had the opinion that assault type rifles dont belong on the prairie dog hunt. You dont have to like it or dislike it, you have to lump it because its his opinion and everyone is entitled to one and entitled to express it.

Basicly what the NRA is saying is , send me your money thats fine but you cant be against any restriction on any firearms.
    That is horse dung. There is alot of weaponry that dont need to be in the hands of civilians.
    In fact, why doesnt the NRA be useful and get this Chinese junk thrown out of our country.
    They made concessions that resulted in all the pre ban post ban crap, why not make a concession to get rid of junk firearms from other countries and this country that choose stamping over machining?
    I mean really, if you want to bear arms, bear something worth toting.
    You aren't worth a flying leap against a government , crook, murderer, or to your local guerilla squadron with a Norinko M-14 that cant hit a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards 2 out 5 shots.

If the whole thing about having the right to bear arms is because we might have to stand up to the government will the guy standing on my left and right please be totin something like a Colt, Remington, or a Winchester?
    Promoting the ownership of junk is worthless in the fight to the right to bear arms.

Thats my opinion of course and I aint apologizing and entering a drug rehab to be forgiven.

16. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il

yeah. what he said.:roll_eyes:

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    As best I can tell, the dude didn't say anything about outlawing assault rifles, only that they aren't hunting rifles, and that hunters should distance themselves from them. It was just one man's opinion.

Zumbo's credentials are impeccable, and his opinion deserves serious consideration, not this overreaction. Woe be unto he who doesn't toe the party line.

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For what it is worth, In my area of WV shots of over 100 yards are rare.
    My SKS has yet to fail me, every deer I have shot at has ended up in my freezer. Any time it took more than one shot was my fault.

The whole kit and caboodle with several extras did not set me back more than $250, new outta the box.
    IMO That is hard to beat.

19. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am not even sure where to begin. It seems that people on both sides of the issue are quick to speak and slow to think. I am sure that I will stick my foot in my mouth before I am done here as well, but there are a few things I would like to point out. First, let me say, I know who Jim Zumbo is, I have seen his show and am neither a fan nor a critic.

As for assault weapons, there is no such thing as most people would like to define them. What most people mean when they say "assault weapon" is a military type gun. You say you don't want them in your hunting camp. Well, you had better be prepared to hunt with your hands. Your precious Remington 700's, Winchester 70's, 870 pumps, etc. have all been used in military combat with regularity. Even your black powder rifles and bows fall prey to this definition. Einstein's Theory of Relativity does us all in. Imagine the buffalo hunter showing up on the plains with a Sharps 45-70 only to be told to put his assault weapon back on his horse. You may laugh but the Sharps was the "assault weapon" of the day and you only need to think for a short minute to realize the broad implications here.

If I can be trusted in deer camp with a Semi-auto Remington 30-06 that is black, holds 5 rounds, and might have a thumb hole stock, then I can also be trusted with an SKS which holds 5 rounds, has a wood stock, and a bayonet lug. And yes, hi-cap mags can be bought for both. The issue here is people, not weapons. Many have stated this. However, many refuse to look beyond the appearance or configuration of a weapon. Many are hung up on the stereotype of typical owners of said weapons. Let me ask, "Can I hunt ducks with an 870 Express if it has a fold down stock, night sights, and a side saddle ammo holder?" If I plug the mag so it only holds 2 rounds, I can. It is no different than an 870 Wingmaster with beautiful mallards engraved on it.

Now there are plausible arguments as to their place in hunting. For instance; although legal, it is my OPINION that an AR in .223 is a little light for deer hunting. However, if you can kill a deer humanely with one, help yourself. Or how about a Ruger Ranch-14? Is it ok to hunt with that in .223? It's not an "assault weapon". I once knew a guy who hunted with an "Assault .303 Enfield". The point is, a gun is a gun is a gun...You decide how to best use them. I will say I have hunted prairie dogs and have done it with an AR on occasion. If there ever were a time to "hunt" with an AR, that is it. You may as well argue that prairie dogs are not really hunted, they are shot.

About cheap crap in America.... if you don't want it here, don't buy it! They are not MAKING us buy Norinko's or Sat. Night Specials. Don't expect the Gov't or, of all groups, the NRA to do anything about it. I buy Made in the USA at all possible times. I am not alone in saying that it is becoming harder and harder to do so. Face it, we want stuff cheap and that is what they give us. If we demanded quality-made here-stuff we would have to do with a lot less because we could not afford everything we want. I'm as guilty as the next guy.

Furthermore, if the NRA had not already been "useful", we would in all probabilty be living an American version of the UK or Australia. Love 'em or hate 'em they have done more for our rights, and not just gun rights, than any group ever. I do not always agree with them on every little issue, nor does any person with any group, but they are about all that stands between us and losing our guns. I surely hope no one is naive enough to think that if we agreed to give up our "assault weapons" that the anti gunners would be relieved, shake our hands, and go off on a deer hunt with us. If it were up to them we would all be sittin' around with sling shots loaded with nerf balls. Oh, and you can only have one nerf ball in your pocket at any given time, and by all means, don't have a BLACK slingshot!

As for Zumbo, I do not know enough about him to have a clue what to think. I do know that if he really said what he said, he shouldn't be apologizing for it. If he feels that way, great, say it and stick to it. Maybe apologize for the way in which you said it, but not for the content. Often when people say "I misspoke" what they should say is, "oops, I accidentally said what I meant but forgot that a lot of people will hate me for it and I should have kept my mouth shut to stay out of trouble". I do not know if this is the case here, but if he really is apologizing all over himself then it is certainly suspicious.

I do not think that he should be totally written off, whatever the case. Perhaps he will have time to re-think what he meant, said, did, and then come forth with a public statement that will be beneficial to all. Maybe he wil realize that his opinion was in error, own up to it, and be forgiven. Smith and Wesson is a good example if you remember a few years back.

The antigun crowd certainly sees this for what it is; DIVISION in the ranks of gun owners. I bet a lot of you would let your friend back in your deer camp with an AK-47 if it meant you could have your bolt action back and actually live in a place where you could hunt. Yes, it is that serious.

Bottom line: A law abiding, life respecting person has a God-given right to own whatever kind of gun he see fit to. He will never be a threat to anyone other than bad guys and prairie dogs. Conversely, a terrorist cannot own any kind of weapon, be it a gun, pipe, or chair leg, without it becoming an "assault weapon".

Well, I think I have vented enough for the evening. I assure you I hold no animosity towards any BOC brothers or sisters, I only hope to stimulate thought. I am interested to see how this thread continues. This is an important issue. How about we talk about assault rods or pre-ban baitcasters with hi-cap spools? LOL

20. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You hit the nail on the head Steve!!! And I am a proud member of the NRA, its all the fence riding that got the UK, Austrailia and others dis-armed.Not only did they lose their right to bear the cheap made norinco firearms.....they lost the right to bear all firearms! After reading all this, I took the time to send in another $100 contribution to the NRA and thank them for the superb job they do !!!