Jim River Update

Discussion in 'SOUTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by lancepeterson, Mar 19, 2015.

1. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Water has risen up at Kelly's Cove near Yankton. The location is coming alive, it looked TERRIBLE all winter.

2. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Walleyes are biting out at Kelly's Cove. Saw 12+ people out there Saturday.

3. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Stopped to check out the work they are doing under the bridge @ Kelly's Cove. The river was severely eroding the bridge pilings I guess. They added ALOT of rock. In fact it looks like they opted to nearly dam up the river right under the bridge. It looked like a rock wall shore to shore with just a bit of water rolling over the top. I am not sure if this is a temp thing so they can work below easier or what. The way it is no fish are gonna be moving upstream past that point. If it stays that way the whole stretch from the mouth of Jim to Kelly's Cove could be PACKED with fish of all sorts this season.....

4. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    They did the same thing by Westfield Ia. on the Sioux , yep they just left it . Its a bit hard on props and shear pins in my little boat

5. People somehow make it through the one in Westfield. I've been too chicken to try it.

6. Not trying to hijack this thread but it's not letting me make a new one. Any of you guys fish the big sioux down by sioux city and go clear up by stone park? I know guys pull some impressive fish out of that area. Might give it a try this week, just curious if there is anything to watch out for

7. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Id just fish the Missouri instead...

8. Matts Cats

Matts Cats Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Name:
    put first name
    There is basicly very little ..........
    very little Jim River left up our way. They finally put new rocks on the launch, but the water is 10' or so from the end of the rocks. I could not float the boat off of the trailer. Gonna take some serious rain to get the river up where I live.

9. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    We are dryer than a popcorn fart down here

10. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Matts Cats how far up on the Jim are you?

11. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Noticed guy in boat this evening down below bridge at Kelly's Cove. Def do not see this very often! Looked to be jigging

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Don't make me! Come to SD!!! Why, I just couldn't deal with all them frozen lakes......as you can see, our lakes in NC are NEVER frozen. I only knew this one girl form Noray who told me knot to.........

13. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Frozen lakes can be a lot of fun to fish , yes we catch cats in the winter also

14. Matts Cats

Matts Cats Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Name:
    put first name
    I live east of Mitchell. I usually put in at the 38 bridge just east of town.

15. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Got few nice ones out of Jim this weekend. 10.5 and 9.5lbrs. They were biting on cut anything.

16. lancepeterson

lancepeterson Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Pics of 9.5 and 10.5 from Jim.

image.jpg image.jpg

17. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota
  18. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
  19. Matts Cats

Matts Cats Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Name:
    put first name
    3.25" of rain in the last couple of days. Going Monday if the wind isn't blowing like a hurricane. The Jim looks as good as ever.

20. rags57078

rags57078 New Member

State:
    South Dakota