Jim Leonard's Baitwell

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Jim Leonard(Catfishfever) on February 9, 2003

This is a livewell I made from a 100qt Thermos Cooler. The water supply is controlled by a timer switch mounted on the front of my truck box, I can operate it from the bench seat. I know the round ones are supposed to be better, and my shad do get a little Red Nose, but they still catch fish. This was quite a bit cheaper. I am looking at a 150qt Igloo cooler for a livewell. The Blow Tube mentioned in the picture is for when the shad scales plug up the line, usually at the shutoff valve, I take the endcap off and blow into it and it clears them out so the water can drain. I keep the drain open just enough to let the same amount of water drain out than is pumped in with the timer on, this gets rid of the ammonia and scales and the shad last all day, when I get off the lake I use the areator/filter system described in the next post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: The hail screen does not stop the shad scales, just the shad

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Jim Leonard(Catfishfever) on January 31, 2003

Here's a livewell aerator/filter, it's homemade, however it does take a 12v battery to operate, it will definitely keep your bait alive though. Posted it above in the oxygen page, probably should have put it here though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Length of spray tube determined by depth of livewell.