Jigs

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by catfish1516, May 8, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    what is the best way to fish a simple jig. I can't seem to catch very many crappie off of them

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    first off, don't be afraid to loose them, thats why they are cheap. work them around stucture, ie anchor downstream. cast in front of structure. working the jig at different depths. i have also had success just vertical jigging at diffent depths up in the structure. locate the areas where the slabs are hanging, drift through with the vertical jig. you can also place a bober on the rig to better control depth and identify hits.

3. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Catflish - I slow troll jigs, verticle fish with jighs, cast jigs, and fish jigs under a bobber. I think too many people fish jigs too fast and impart too much action to them when verticle jigging. When verticle jigging, I change depths with the jig, but at a specific depth I try to hold the jig as still as possible and don't jerk it up and down. Also, I always make sure the knot is pulled tight to the back of the eye so the jig hangs perpendicular to the line in the water. Hope some of this information helps increase your catches.

4. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I like to use them on an ultra light spinning reel. Grab the jig by the lead head,(hook pointed away from you) pull it back down near your knees, point the tip of yur rod where you want it to go and skip or sling shot it under docks. Get it into those hard to reach places.

5. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I use jigs all sorts of ways. Some times bobbers set at diffrent depths at the edge of weeds along the edge of a sandy bank. Or if they are deep, strait line jig over the side of the boat works well.

6. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We fish tube jigs vertically over brushpiles we place on channel drops. I use a B-n-M Buck pole 12' with small zebco reel . I beleive the reel is #11 and is under rod reel with a trigger spin cast. We use clear 4lb test line and fish in our brushpiles. The main thing is self control. When you hang use a light touch and drop rod 3 or 4 inches. Shake or jggle it lightly and a large per centage of the time jig will free it self. Another point is pick leadheads with smaller size hooks as larger ones hang up more.

7. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I have that same reel. Pretty nice reel and inexpensive. I have mine setup with 10lb test (2lb dia.) powerpro, on a cheap 10ft flyrod from basspro. That setup is great when the bite is lite, you can feel everything your jig/live bait is doing.

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    all of the above and have many different colors, do not be shy about changing colors if you are not getting bites.