Jigs for cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by old newbie, Jun 2, 2009.

1. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I was just reading an online article about useing jigs for cats, I have never heard of this. Anyone here use any artificial baits for cats. I once caught a cat on a johnson silver minnow, but I was after bass and figured this a fluke. The pics showed a lead head jig with a strip of cutbait with the skin still on and one with a crawler on a leadhead. I'm always amazed at how little about fishing I really know.:big_smile:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have caught cats on jigs fished for other species. i bought some musky size swim baits to try this year, if the river clears up enough. most of the time my rivers are too muddy for jigs. the smell of cutbait would help but you better be fishing slow or be rite in front of their faces. i feel,in a clear water environment they would be a viable tactic.

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    My brother-in-law caught a 10lber. on a black skirted jig a couple years back, when we were fishin' for Largemouths.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I read an article a few years back about a guy using very big jigs and a nightcrawler for flatheads in the winter time!?! Basically he was jigging until he had the bait right on the flatties nose. They would hit the bait just to kill it.

5. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    So maybe a lake would be the place to try them, It was on a lake when he hit my silver spoon. Let us know if you get a chance to use those muskie baits!!!

6. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what article was this? I would like to read on this some in my free time....ive seen it done but never tried it myself...

7. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I will sometimes use a strip of shad on a jig head.With a slow retreive it has the look of a small bait fish

8. stump knocker

stump knocker New Member

State:
    indiana
    ive seen guys catch fhc on chorme rattle traps fishing for bass

9. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I hooked into a 40# flathead this year while skipjack fishing with a jig then he straightened the hooks but I knew he would. I know people that jig alot for cats it seems to work well.

10. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I fish the McAlpine pool of the Ohio River from 10 miles to 30 miles up river from Louisville, KY. Jigs with twister tails produce smallmouth, drum or channel cats in the early spring depending on water temp and visibility.
    Crank baits like Bombers, Hellbenders and Shad Raps will work when cranked down the shale ledges as the water warms and clears. The channel cats sometimes will wear your arms out iwhen the smallies are not hitting.
    We occasionally get cats on saftey pin style spinners and Rattle Traps while fishing for largemouth during the summer. My bass fishing friends cannot believe that the record bass they are fighting turns out to be a 2 lb channel cat when we get it to the net. They just do not undestand how strong the river cats are until a small cat gives them all that their bass tackle can take.
    I especially enjoy slow moving a big black jitterbug on the surface around boulders or across the flats on hot summer nights ( midnight to around 4 AM ) after all of the boat traffic quiets down. The large cats move from the deep water to the shallows for one reason. I offer them a big, noisy, slow moving meal that is easy to ctch. Blind casting on a moonless night while drifting with the current or using the trolling motor works during July and August. Sounds like someone dropped a manhole cover on the surface when a big'un blows up on a surface bait! I usually fish with live or cut bait but will try casting the surface lure at a few spots on the run back to the ramp. PB on the Jitterbug is a 12 lb Channel and a 20 lb + Blue. No Flatheads on the topwater yet.

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I have caught channel cats on white bucktail jigs while fishing for stripers. Every time I think I have a huge striper, hit hard and fight harder!