Jigging the Jams

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Game_Of_Inches, May 18, 2007.

1. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One technique that I have found that is absolutely killer for catching channel is jigging log jams. Find a big log or even better a bunch of logs together typically washed together during high water and tie your boat directly into the jam. While deeper water is more desirable I have caught fish in less than a foot. Hook a chunk of cut bait on a drop shot rig or a slip sinker rig and drop your bait in any hole that you can find between logs and flotsam. Make sure you can get a fish back out of the hole you are fishing. Just let the bait settle on the bottom. I prefer to hold the rod but you can set it in a rod holder. If you haven't got a bite in a few minutes move to the next gap you can see. This technique works extremely quickly and is stellar during daylight hours. Give it a whirl I promise you'll have a blast.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have done that on a jighead with cutbait, it works great!

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    are my favorite to fish,need some good heavy tackle.My Dad began taking use kids out on the log jams fishing the hole when I was about 5 yrs old. some of my bigest Flats have came for log jams.Worst thing about them is you have to keep a eye out for snakes, other than that its great fishing.
    Loop

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Thats how we catch flathead. You have to have a good strong rod to pull them up quick cause they will go straight to the bottom when you hook em.

5. Silverback

Silverback New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That sounds like a really good aproach, thanks for sharing.