Jigging for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by offshore_angler, Aug 13, 2009.

1. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    Few catfishermen use jigs,but there are situations when they can be just one more effective than traditional rigs with leaders.i was among the first to experiment with jigs for catfish,praising thier effectiveness in books and on tv. then first you should understand the theroy behind the thinking,to put it to use.
    a long leader results in less feel and less-precise bait postioning.the longer the leader is the less control you have shorting your leader from 2 feet to 6 inches and the presentation becomes a tighter package,but if you eliminate the leader all together you are in direct control and constant contact.
    one reason catfish anglers dont concider using jigs is that they fear the added weight might cause a fish to drop the bait.most jigheads weigh less than idems that the catfish eat..worring about catfish being cautious around a jig is unnecesary! cats seem to grab and run, channels like to grab and run and flatheads like to mouth the bait before they take off,typicall thumps you feel or see on the rod . and strikes on a moving bait are are aggressive. just remember! the greater the feel and more conrtol you have the more fish that will be in the boat.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great thread. You certainly have a point there.. If you eliminate the rig and leader and just use that jig it will giveway a little bit more weight to better position it where you want it. REPS headed that way. Thanks for the tips bro.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There was a good article in the Infisherman 2009 catfish mag about jigging for cats..Talked about some of those same things you bring up and they compared to different method and explained all the differences..It was a good article I learned a lot from it..

4. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    infishermen is like bible to me,and yes alot of info i learn comes from there.and what i think its very intersting ill use it to teach others and or use it my self

5. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Can't argue with that.

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I heard of the jigging concept before and if bass fisherman can get blues on spinnerbaits and various other spoon jigs sometimes, it is definitely a method to consider. My question is which or what jigs do you know that captures blues or is a reliable one to use when it comes to targeting blues? Flatheads as well?

7. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    a fellow i know caught a 62# blue about 4 weeks ago on a jigging spoon.then turned around the next week caught a 75# flathead on the same jig.

8. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Just a plain old jig with cut bait or live bait on it..Basically the concept is more about having weight on the hook..The article(Infisherman catfish insider 2009 edition) points to the fact that a longer leader results in less "feel" and less precise bait presentation..Eliminating the leader all together and you have direct and instant contact when the fish bites..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009