jigging flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 7, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i found a great spillway tactic, i was using the norm bluegill, for a week, got a few flatheads, but the guys were out fishing me on jigs, so he said try this, not but five miniuts, i hooked a 30 pounder, he got off, but 15 minets later i got a 15 pounder, but ill tel you they fight harder , on jigs, that drags got to be looser, heres the pic

2. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    No pic

Edit. Wait maybe you mean your avatar?

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the bad thing is, im losing this spot, there shutting the dam off, and reparing it, and opining the other side, the problem is theres no way to fish the other side, il have till augest first, ill be hogging a ton out to save them, most will die, but ill get the big boys and put em, in the lake sucks, loosing my best hole:sad2::embarassed:

4. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What do you mean with the jig? Is it a jig head tipped with something like a bluegill, or just a regular bass jig?

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Jigs work I have caught or hooked very large flats with jigs that werent tipped with anything although they would probably work better with something tipped on them.

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Do you drag thr jigs on the bottom through eddies and current edges? What kind of jigs are you using, brand, size, whatever?

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just be carefull you are not snagging them with those jigs, they are easy to snag when concentrated.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you know the fish was 30-lbs if it got off???

Slikk a fish fowl hooked in the tail or back will fight harder than a fish hooked in the mouth.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i got a 15 and this one looked twice the size, just a guess, but yes,some get fowl hooked, but the place i fish is a death trap anyway, they drain it every year, so ll the flats die, or they get hogged by people, theyeat drum here so,its not realy saving there life, i throw em back after pics but not in there

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i picked up some good gamma jigs, came up with an idea, ill go get a big slitshot weght then put it righton top the jig head to weght it down more, also jack your right you do got to whatch fowl hooking them but if i said it before were im fishing its a deathtrap for flatheads its hard to explain they all get traped and they drain it yearly and they all get hogged ordie , no one does the cpr thing here there all minoritys most dont do that they eat them , not a racist commint just true, i have nothing against it but i personaly like to let them go 90 percent of the time, but here it just dont happen,a 60 will be taken, im not for that but im not going to fight over it, but yes ive fowl hooked one and they fight like ten times harder, and it wasent on a jig it was on a retrive it just hooked intoits side , i gave em to my freind to eat, he loves em, but id like to see more releases, but that aint going to happen this is right in the hood in gangland poor folks eating drum carp, even asain carp

11. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    I just read an article in infisherman magazine about this .Sounds pretty awesome.

12. wisco_fisher

wisco_fisher New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    Spellcheck, Enter Key, Breathe

Yes, jigging works.

13. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    My wife has a cousin that lives either in Nebraska or the dakotas that jig them up in the lake where he lives even in the winter. I been wanting him to send me one so i can see if i can make me some for myself. I try to make any thing i can for fishing because of the price that the bait shops charge for it. Like the big bobbers cost around $2.00 a pop. I make my own for the cost of three store bought i can make twelve of mine. Mine will also float more weight than the store bought ones will. I even make my own sand bass jigs the bait shop gets $1.00 each for the ones they sell.

Foggy :cool2:

14. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Slikk, if there are 15 or even 30 pd flats in there then they do not die off every year. They have found a way to survive that situation. Don't worry about them they are growing up healthy. Nature found a way.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    no they drain the place out and they all get hoged , they fall ovr the spillway then they might make it over the second dam, in the fall it gets drained and they all come down and hog em, its right in the hood, ganland downtown, so its like a war to them to get them fish and they put on bbq cats after that

16. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey thats fine spelling wen your half awake