Jigging fall flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Goldenshinner, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

some local guys use Large jiggs(10inch size) tipped with suckers for flatties in the fall. woundering if anyone has had much success with such a rig. ive tried it atad and didnt have the nerve to try it much. as it didnt seem to do much.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The method seems to be to find a place where the flathead are stacked up, and jig through them. I thought maybe they were snagging them, but all the ones I've seen caught on TV had the jig in their mouth. 'Course, we all know that anything we see on TV is just as true as anything we read in the newspaper, right? I mean, there's no outdoor TV show host who would remove a hook from a fish's body and stick it in his mouth. (He'd have one of his flunkies do it.) Back before 9/11 when we could still fish the discharge canal at the nuclear plant, we used to 'catch' stripers like that by using a heavy spoon with a big treble hook; cast out and retreive in hard jerks. I've even caught carp that way. But to be fair, maybe it's just a matter of getting a lively bait/lure right in front of a flathead, and even if he's cold, he can't resist grabbing it. :0a28:

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have tried to jig a bit too but like you i loose interest fast. i just do it to pass the time once in a while. i would think it to be a viable option as the water cools and they stack up.