Jig Tweaks

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mickey, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Use the correct size and color to match conditions. Use bold colors.
    Use permanent markers or dye markers to change colors of bodies or tails.
    Make sure your jig is hanging horizontally.
    Use scent attractants. Examples: Berkley crappie nibbles, Gulp Alive maggots, or Kodiak Minnow paste.
    Above all don't waste time fishing where crappie are not. Choose your locations carefully.
    Don't be afraid to experiment when crappie have closed mouths. Change colors, sizes often. They will show you what they want. Don't get discouraged. They are going to feed.
    Feel free to add any Tweaks that you have tried and proved.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    great points here mickey, its amazing what switching a jig head color and leaving the body the same can do to help catch more fish.

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    This can be a very informative thread Mickey. Have never fish off of a boat for crappie but plan on giving it a try this spring.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to widen the gap on my jigs just a little.
    I think it helps hook 'em better

5. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    If you haven't tried a horse head jig buy some.Some call them road runners or pony heads.I have found on most occasions they will hit these better.They are more expensive but do-all and hilts make a great mold for these.I also feel they don't hang up as bad in brush.I like the crappie nibblets as well.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Always take the nibbles with me also. Have made the difference in catchin fish lots of days.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I always take minnows with me and if the bite is slow I hook a minnow through the tail with a small red jig. This seems to get more strikes when the crappie are holding tight to the structure. I guess the crappie think something has already caught the minnow.

8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Great post Mickey, all good ideas.

9. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Great post mickey. Thanks for the tips. We used to use minnows in a friends lake and catch baskets full quickly. I will try some of these tips the next time I go fishing.

10. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Good post Micky, I use the gulp products, they are ready smell like a minnow, use the1 1/2" minnows (white or chrotrouse) they will bite them,
    they will get hard as shoe leather if you leave them on a jig head out of the water, I have even had a carp pick a gulp minnow off the bottom when it was just sitting there. I also use the nibbles on my jigs I like the goldglliter and the pink nibbles