Jig Pouring session

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Fatman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Well I had taken the advice from several foks on other boards and bought some sickle hooks when I got my regular hig hook order and Saturday I was bored so I poured jigs. Got the sprues off, trimmed them and then counted 525 in 3 1/2 hours.

Everyone I've talked to said the sickles were sharp but man trimming the sprues off I got stung more than I ever have.

I had 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs in minnow head, pony head and ball head with size 2 & 4 red sickles, and 1/32 ball heads with size 6 regular mustads

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc214/Fatmans1/Jigs1003.jpg

Fatman

2. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    How much money would it take me to get started pouring my own jigs? I'm really interested in doing that.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    The mold will cost $30-$40 Electric melting pot $50-$100 Plus hooks, chenelle and tails. I wish you were close you could borrow mine

4. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    What Jim said, sometimes you can get some molds on ebay but when it gets to the point where a few bucks and way less shipping gets me a brand new one NEW IT IS!!

The melting pots you can use a camp stove and propane tank with cast iron pot and ladle if you want but as Jim said the electric melting pots are excellent. There's been some on Ebay but that's just one of those things where if you don't know a new one is better and they are guaranteed for 2 years. I have 2 of them and the one I use the most is about 26 years old and still kicking.

Hooks prices have gone CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!! Use to be you could get a thousand hooks for $10 bucks but no more. I go through Capt Hooks
    http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=products&catid=29&view=1

My last order was for 2 thousand Mustad 32756 size 2, and 2 thousand size 4 32756, thousand 32756 size 6, and 250 each of the Matzuo red sickle hooks in size 2 and 4 total with shipping was $160 bucks.

That will make you a bunch!!!!!!!! I use either testors paint and a clear epoxy over the top but have been getting into the powder paint, got two regular colors and 5 florescent colors at Janns Netcraft and it was jus over $50 bucks and it will paint a lot of jigs.

If you only use plastics then you're all set if you have a bunch already. If you get into tying them yourself you can add a bunch depending on what you buy.

Fatman