Jig Heads - Anyone use these?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Spongiform, May 19, 2006.

1. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone try using these things for catfishing?

I took a variety of hooks with me on my last trip. Shore fishing and ALOT of fallen trees and logs in the water - so I lost alot of hooks to snags.

Tried the jighead and my snags went down alot and it seemed to hook them pretty well. I also like the simplicity of just 1 thing to bring and less stuff to try to tie up in the dark. I was using chicken livers and they stayed on pretty well.

Anyone else try these? Any pro's/con's I should know about before stocking up on them?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's a lot of stuff about jig fishing that might be of use to you; I think whole books have been written about it. Here are a couple of things that immediately come to mind:
    1. There are lots of shapes, and each shape generally has a purpose; some are designed to drop fast, some slow, etc.
    2. The hook eye is placed at different places to give the jig different actions; picking the jig with the right hook eye location can depend on how you plan to fish the jig.
    3. If you find that this method works for you, and you start using a lot of jigs, you can always mold your own. It's as easy as molding your own sinkers.
    4. The majority of smaller jigs use light wire hooks which can straighten out if you hang up on a rock or limb; if you're catching large catfish, a light wire hook can easily straighten out, causing you to lose the fish. Some jigs are molded with heavier hooks; you can usually find them where striper gear is sold. Of course, these heavier hooks aren't going to straighten out when you hang them up. Only you can decide which type suits your needs best.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have never realy done alot of jigging for cats because I have only caught about 10 fish doing this. I'm sure there is a more productive way to jig but I have never realy tried to learn new actions and how to fish for cats with a jig. I would be interested if anyone had any techniques.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have on occasion caught catfish on dressed out jigs while fishing for Bream and crappie. Like Jerry said most of the jig hooks with straighten when you get a larger fish on them and you will very seldom land a cat of any size with a jig unless the fish swallows it. They will bait and work as well as any hook but smaller ones are mainly for panfish.

5. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have used them for years. I love to fish up next to rocky dams with a worm/minnow under a bobber. I have outfished most other around me using that rig. They dont hang up nearly as much and the spoon adds flash/sound to my bait.

6. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    i use 3/8 oz red or white headed jigs. these have strong hooks on them..i get them at wally word the brand is fish delight. i put a live nite crawler and cast it out or some times i jig it around pilings.....if the current is strong i rig the jig head carolina style.

7. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    have hooked a few cats while using jig with minnow under a slip bobber. never have tryed just for cats.

8. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Best price I could find was 100 1oz unpainted round jigheads for $6.50 + $7.20 shipping.

So 13.70 - coming out to be 13.7 cents each.

Best price outside of that was 25 cents each + shipping.

Found a guy on ebay that sells jigheads - mostly handmade and hand painted stuff for bass fishing. It's a bit cheaper to get the unpainted ones.

I'll be shore fishing like I said - so a 1oz weight should be plenty.

Guess i'll be ordering those in a few days.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just remember, you want to use the lightest jig possible; as soon as you start using a heavier jig than is absolutely necessary to fish that spot, you're going to start hanging up more. Also, you'll get poorer action with a jig that's heavier than necessary.