Jig fishing

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by whitney weese, Jan 9, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I'm looking for some one to tell me or show me how to make hand tied jigs for cat fishing at the dams on the ark in Oklahoma.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are several different ways to tie various materials onto a jig. The good newer jighead molds have a lead shank protruding from the back side of the jighead; this makes it much easier to tie on your material. Some cheap molds, especially older ones, may not have such a shank, requiring you to tie your material directly onto the hook. If you'll let me know what type of jighead you've got, and what material you want to tie onto it, I'll try to give you more detailed info.

3. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thank you but i fish with jigs that only have a hook and no weight. I tie on a bank sinker on the end of my line. I fish around the generaters when thay are on. and as for materal. the ones bought around here are buck tail but i dont like the quality in the jig. I would like to tie my own so i know that thay are good qualilty.

4. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would think you would catch a lot more cats on Herring or shad than on jigs by the turbans. Seems to me like you would catch many more other types of fish more often than cats. Now I could be wrong but I seldom see cats cought on jigs, it happens but not real often to my recolection. :wink:

5. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you catch cats below the turbons more often than you think. dont know about eufala. but below webber and kerr. it just about the only fishing being done. some days are better than others. but thats fishing. more times than i can count. i have caught a full stringer in a few hours. nevery caught a big one with jigs. but have cought them up to around 20 lb. but have seen 40 + flatheads cought on jigs. but mostly its blues. thay think its a shad comeing by. when fishing jigs. you still can get in to stripers and you dont have to throw for shad. not thats a problem.