Jig colors

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Tadpole, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What jig and body colors do yall like for difference cover and light conditions. What is your favorite all round color
    or color combinations .

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    White jig has worked great for me, and I have a multitude of colors , a close second would be yellow.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    White. Chart/Red, Black/Chart have all paid good dividens. It all depends on the water color and what the fish prefer that day and on that water.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I agree with Mick, Chartruse and/or white as the best solid or accent color

5. FishinPhil

FishinPhil New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yup, if I was being limited to two it would be white and chartreuse. I've had days where, black, pink or even purple would be the ticket, but day in and day out white would be number 1.

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I seen days in Illinois where when nothing would work, I used a sky blue/white that a co-workers retired dad made and they caught like crazy. But there were days when they didn't work and they would hit any other color.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    First two favorites are black and white. Chartrues is good, but a big part of crappie fishing isn't so much making matching combinations, although it works at times, but making high contrasting combinations, and what better to contrast than the bases of black and white. One of the best jigs I've ever used was a micro Cigara jig, white body, yellow skirt and a single red thread. I tried the same color without that red thread, and no dice. Amazing how big something so small can make a differance.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My favorite is red and white. They seem to love that color! I also shoot some crappie nibbles in them for that extra Yummy taste.
    Bill

9. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    White is a good starting point in salt or fresh water.

10. jgoforthh

jgoforthh New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like pearl white or salt and pepper skirted jigs in cover and black and grey panfish assassin by bass assassin in clean water but i guess its whatever you trust.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    This is a good point, you're going to fish a lure more effectively if you are confident in that bait/lure. It goes the same with locations you already vs. new locations.

12. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    It seems here in Southwest Missouri that black/chart. tube is about the one you use to start with and then the white/pearl/ with whatever color you have to mis with :eek:oooh:it.

13. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks guys for all the good information i sure do apprecite it.

14. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    try a pink and white twintail. i swear by it ive caught trout, bass, sea bass, gills, and tons of crappie.

15. Ricky Dills

Ricky Dills New Member

State:
    Corryton, Tenne
    Here in Tenn we are catching them on chartruse and we catch alot on pink white is good color differs on water color so try different color until you find what they like on that day you never know what the crappie prefer until you try every color in your box

16. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    chartreuse/black chartreuse/red pearl white and solid chartreuse

17. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I'm thinking that location matters as much as color. Every lake has a certain pattern that works best. Probably due to water clarity and forage as much as anything.

Here in my area, black/chartreuse early on, then I move to red/chartreuse, and solid white sparkle, and flourescent pink/white. But when they are really turned on, I think they'd hit a stick on a hook.

Point is, there is no perfect color, and like all of us, I lean to what I know best. I'm not gonna experiment much if I'm catching. If not, then I throw everything I've got at 'em until I find something they like or they let me know it's time to take a hike.

18. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    There are a lot of things to take into consideration when going after crappie but if I can only have two colors then I will take white and yellow.

19. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Bobby garland baby shad in electric chicken. if you cant find them or get a shop to order them. try genelarewlures.com that is the company that makes them. and if not there try bass pro shop