Jig choice for location

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by ironape2, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ironape2

ironape2 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hello BOC brothers,

I was wanting to get some advise about jig selection for a specific fishing location type. I am bank fishing structure (branches, logs, trees) along a creek no more than 5 feet from the bank at about 1.0 - 2.0ft deep. I can see a jig 2 feet down if that gives any indication of water clarity.

What confuses me most about jigs are all the various types and sizes/weights. I have a starter kit of tubes in various colors and will be picking up some grubs. I usually top the jig with a crappie nibble. What setup would you recommend for a location like the above. I have not been successfull catching a fish with a jig but would like to start to learn. The locations hold fish and I can catch them with minnows and or worms under a bobber.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Thanks

2. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    :0a26:Hi David! I cappie fish a lot and I have used nothing but jigs since I started years ago. I have never used live bait at all. Fishing from the bank as you explained, I would use 1/16 or 1/32 oz. jigs. As to color, any color is good as long as it has chartreuse on it. The crappie nibbles are also a good idea specially when the bite is light. Retrieval needs to be S-L-O-W, or as slow as possible and still keep the jig above the crappie (depending on water depth). As to type of jig I think tubes, curlytails ect. all work great. 90% of the time I prefer maribou jigs tipped with a crappie nibble or curly tail. They all work, you just have to try different colors and jig types and weights till you find whats gonna work for you and the water you are fishing. If the crappie are there, they will bite a jig just as good as a minnow. Just remember S-L-O-W...
    And also you can fish a jig under a cork too! specially in shallow water as you described. Just cast out past structure and slowly retieve and stop, wiggling your rod tip to keep jig in motion. This is a killer technique when the wind is up.