Jetty fishing in Destin, need tackle advice.

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by sherlockian, Jul 2, 2008.

1. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My family and I are going to Destin, FL for a little vacation August 2-6. The place we are staying is right at the East Jetty and I want to fish there in the mornings and night. The Jetty is walking distance from the condo. I have done alot of inshore and offshore fishing, but I have never fished from a jetty before, only a little pier fishing. I am planning to take my 8' MH Glowstick/6600C4(25# mono) and my 7' M Ugly Stick Lite Pro spinning combo(10# mono). Will these be adequate for fishing from the jetty? If not, give me a recommendation. What terminal tackle should I take? I thought I would carry several sizes of circle and baitholder hooks, 1/2oz to 4oz bank and pyramind sinkers, and a few swivels and corks. There is a tackle shop close by that I figure could help me out, but would like to take some of the stuff I already have if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sherlockian

2. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    sending pm

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    give us a report when you get back.

4. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    your pyramid sinkers will come in handy. small circle hooks will work for pompano rigs. i would put 12# big game on spinning tackle and pick up some Gotcha lures when i got there. i have caught spanish mackrel,blue runners and laddyfish on gotcha lures. if you haven't fished a gotcha it fishes like a jerk bait . if you have something like a medium action tiger rod and a good reel you might spool up some 50 lb. braided line and get your self a shark rig or 2 form the bait shop. if you catch a ladyfish(poor mans tarpon) cut it up and use it for shark bait. i would also check out the posiability of picking up some chicken necks and a couple of crab traps. you may be able to catch a crab dinner on the leeward side of the jetty. especially when the tide is going out. hope this helps

5. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the advice Rex, I will definitely get a few gotchas. I found a three pack(most popular colors) in Half Hitches catalog. I don't think I am going to target any sharks, even little ones. I am 35 and still have bad dreams about JAWS:smile2:. I am looking for Spanish, Pompano, Blues, Gaf cats, and maybe a grouper off the deep end if I'm lucky. I did get another combo though, a Shimano Stimula rod(7' MH) and a Shimano Slade 4000 spinning reel(awesome deal at Boater's World, 44.95 and 30% off). I have put 15# Big Game on it and love it. I took it to one of my local bank spots before work and can cast baits(lures and rigs), 1/4oz to 3oz, with ease. I am going to take it and my Ugly combo. I think those two should cover most of what I am going after.
    Thanks again and I will definitely report when I get back

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    New Alabama salt water law : signed into law May 28,2008 No shark from peairs or within 300ft of shoreline 500.00 fine

7. DPDE17

DPDE17 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Make sure to get some "Gotcha" lures. They are cylindrical chrome colored baits which work good for just about anything plus they are relatively cheap.

Good luck

John

8. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what you mean no sharks? i just caught one off the beach in gulf shores last month. i wasnt targetting sharks. im curious to the interpretation of this

9. omegaman66

omegaman66 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Fished the East Jetty a few year back for Mangrove Snapper. Just drop some bait in front of their nose. Big reds will also show up in the deep water at the end of the jetty.

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    also check along the beach towards panama city for schooling pompano. they are a lot of fun to catch. if you see them schooling just use small pieces of shrimp and small hooks and the fun is on.