Jet Skiers Getting On My Nerves!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by trfoster, Jul 18, 2006.

1. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ok I know that everyone has a right to have fun and use the lake for recreation and such but how about a little respect for those of us out here to fish. Im down on the river fishing the other day and these 2 jet skiers come down the river wide open and keep on going,well a few minutes later they come back down,well thats fine and all but a minute later here they come again! well im starting to get a little anoid by this time because I know they can see me setting there fishing or at least trying to.Well to make things worse they start running in circles and zooming back in forth right in front of me! Well after about 5 minutes of this crap I stand up and yell hey! and wave my arms and all, well they stoped and I said you know Im trying to fish here how about taking that crap up the river somewhere! Well one guy flipped me off and started back where they left off, running circles.Well I REALLY got pissed at this point and pulled out my 9mm and fired 3 shots into the bank. they took off like a bat out of hell and needless to say I had my quiet time once again! personaly I think there should be a portion of the lake for people to ride these things and keep the rest of the lake nice and quiet for us fishing.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    jet skies the curse of the boating world. I hate them things to and 99% of the idiots that ride them. I fish this one lake that has a 10mph limit the whole lake so they dont come there but we get these idiots in thier fishing boats that seem to think 20 is 10 mph though. Kinda hard for most lakes to enforce the laws with thier budget cuts etc.

3. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    YOU GO ARLINGTON!! SHOOT IF THEY WOULD LET ME ID ENFORCE IT AND DO IT FOR FREE! WELL, THEY WOULD HAVE TO THROW IN A BOAT AND FUEL AND FREE ICE AND BAIT AND A ROD & REEL OR TWO AND A UNLIMITED SUPPLY OF AMMO!:lol:

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Never had it that bad man.
    You know I worry about the saftey of those jetskiers being so close to my boat! Sometimes I like to use a very large lead weighted treble hook and I wouldn't want those poor knucleheads to accidently catch a hook in their a$$.
    I know, I know! but someone has to worry for their saftey.

5. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL...I feal your pain, way to show restraint with the 9mm.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    oh my...:roll_eyes:

let's think this one thru, guys

i used to feel the same way - then when i was 49 i rode a ski for the first time...they are a blast. however, saying they are a problem is like gun control people saying guns kill guns. the operator is the problem here, if you will truthful about it.

if i had the money i'd would buy one of the bigger skis and put some fishing pole and tackle box racks on it. those dudes will get in almost any water...lots of places boats can't go.

an idiot in a 14 foot jon boat can cause waves if he wants to now can't he?

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Have you ever been swarmed by the types of people on jetskies? I have ridin them too but thats not the point here. I am sure that if you bought a jetski you wouldn't be a rude knuckle head on it, you would respect others. As for ignorant boaters, well there is no shortage of em. Several jetskis churn up the water as they make their tight circles, they are annoying with a capital A.

8. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I can honestly say I have seen two guys that were nice on them they slowed down and went past slowly did that both ways but they were in my age bracket too so they had matured some.

9. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    However, when you pulled out a pistol and fired, you were opening yourself to some potentially serious trouble. If one of those morons had decided to call the sheriff you likely could have been arrested for menacing with a firearm. As for the idiot flipping you the finger, in some states there are laws against public obscene gestures. In the end I've never seen any percentage in arguing with a s***head, so just be the bigger man and let it go. But it is so hard to do sometimes. Here in Texas we have what are called 'community lakes'. They are usually inside state parks, but not always. They are great, horsepower limits, no skiing, no jet skies, just lines and poles.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Many boaters up here can't stand them, like me. I remember about 12 years ago I was fishing in a good size bay down the shore. I went to a different spot and noticed a couple on a broken down jetski. Well no one would help them, they had been there for a long time getting eaten by greenheads. One was a younger girl about 19 and her boyfriend. I felt bad for the girl getting all bitten up and went over to them and towed them in. The whole ride back I let them know how rude many people are on those things, and thats why no one would help them. I hope that made a difference with those people to understand in the future to not be rude.

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

that's my point exactly, Tom. the rider is the one in control. the jet ski is merely an inanimate object til someone drives it. a rock is just a rock til someone throws it thru a window. i am simply pointing out the obvious. wrath should be directed at the skier, not the ski.

hating skis because of the rider is like hating harleys because the hells angels ride them.

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I totally understand your point but when they mix in with general boating in close waters it just becomes dangerous for all on the water. Jetskis are very, very fast like 60+ MPH and they are also highly manuverable, can turn on a dime. Every year jetskiers are killed here and they endanger other people. Like I said I don't think they blend well with larger boats on the water. I never saw a john boat clippin down the river at 60 - 70 MPH and capable of making crazy unpredictable turns. Yes I know it's a people problem, there is a course you must take up here for them but many people on them ignore the saftey issues as well as common courtesy.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    and you know what, Tom? thems exactly the kind of people that oughta be banned from operating PWCs. as far as i know, all bodies of water are governed by laws, rules, and regulations. enforcement needs to be stepped up in many places. no doubt in my mind about that.

there are governing bodies (city or county concils/commissioners etc) in control of all of them. popping a 9mm may get someones attention, but if you do that i bet it could be filed as a menacing with a weapon type felony. that isn't the answer, however mad you get. take a camcorder and then take the pics to that governing body. ask them to either ban PWCs or limit them to a specific area of the lake/river. i bet you get results.

14. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    OK Phil I'll go with that, They should designate ares where they can ride so that they don't ruin it for people just lookin to relax and fish. If we know where they are and where they are not we can avoid them. Wish it was like that.

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hate those inconsiderate gnat boaters my self. My next door neighbor is one. I live on a small river above a small dam. For about 200 yards the water id 10 feet deep and then goes to 1.5 feet with alot of rocks, deadfalls, overhanging trees, etc. The river is only 175 feet across and is just not a safe place to ride those things. It is great for small boats, kayaks, and canoes. This idiot and his son think they are Jet Ski race drivers and think it's funny to zip past the people in canoes and splash them. They run full speed all the time even tho there is a NO-WAKE ZONE within 50' of the bank, another boat, docks, or anyone in the water. They have alot of local fishermen pi$$ed off at them. They just don't care. They don't even get it when they see that they are the only people that put those things in the river. I've never seen anyone else with them here. They moved down here from Jersey and act like this is their private playground. I've tried to talk to them and they just laugh about it. A short way down the road is a 20,000 acre lake where they can ride all they want. JERKS!

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

you're right, Tom, in a perfect world the law would work like it was designed. but people in office are not interested in upholding their duty as PUBLIC servants, are they? to much backslapping and glad-handing going on behind the scenes in all official bodies i have been acquainted with.

but we can't menace idiots, at least not until all legal avenues have been exhausted. i sympathize will all who express anger and frustation about these dipsticks. however, if we break the law to stop lawbreakers it gets a little hard to tell us apart.

17. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I agree with this,they should have an area to use and stay in it.Everyone has a right to have fun but,99% of the people on jetskis are idiots and I think they should have to go through a driving course for jetskis,just like you have to with motorcycles.If they don't have their license ticket them...

18. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Me I stand by what I said I hate jetskies (I see no usefull pourpose for them except to aggrivate people) And the people who ride them I have no use for never will. It seems everytime I go out fishing be it bass cat trout what ever if I am on a body of water that allows them they add more reasons to dislike them and the owners. sad but true as more idiots ruinn what could e a good thing for a responsible rider. which I have only seen 2 so far since them things came out.

19. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ok your right maybe the 9mm was a little drastic but enough is enough and I HAD ENOUGH! Thats why I shot into the bank if the law would have been called then whos to know I shot a snake! not my fault the fools were out there acting like fools and thought I was shooting at them.If they werent taughting me then they would of had no reason to think I was directing my fire towards them and involving the law.I DONT KNOW IF THESE ARE THE SAME 2 OR NOT but I have had family come down to fish and end up staying for about 30 minutes and leaving saying that they cant fish with those people riding those jet skies down there. Phil I agree with you brother its not the skies its the operaters but also if there were no skies then there would be no operaters.but the skies exsist so here we are, and I also agree its not just skie jets,its the nuckle heads on boats too. IM NOT SAYING ALL OF EITHER BUT THE BIGGEST PART OF THE JET SKIERS AND HALF THE BOATS OPERATE WITH NO SENCE!! AGAIN ITS NOT THE EQUIPMENT ITS THE OPERATERS!! ITS NOT ABOUT WHO HAS A RIGHT BUT MORE OF THE GIVEN RESPECT! FOR OTHERS WHO ARE TRYING TO ENJOY THIERSELFS ALSO IN THIER OWN WAY. I TOO HAVE HAD A FEW WHO COME BY AND SEE ME FISHING AND SLOW DOWN AND I THROW MY HAND UP AND THEY DO THE SAME,THATS RESPECT!! I believe that with the growing traffic on the waters that there needs to be some kind of control. The jets need to be regulated to a part of the lake where they can ride and act like fools all they want,or at certain times or days.The boats need speed limits and slow down! If they want to cut up and act like fools then join the jet skiers. something has to be done sooner or later or someone not as nice as me isnt going to shoot in the ground! ALL IM SAYING TO GET RESPECT YOU HAVE TO GIVE RESPECT! I DIDNT GET NONE SO I DIDNT GIVE NONE!:smile2:

20. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Arlington,
    I hate jet skiers tooooo but thats why you have never seen a respectful one is cause they are showing enough respect to stay away lol.