Jet-Ski'ers! are these people human?

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by dinkbuster1, May 4, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    about 2 weeks ago i posted about a really bad experience that i had with some ski'ers and a huge boat, and today i was involved with a bad situation at the exact same location. a freind and i took my boat to a bankspot we have on a local river today to do some flathead fishing. about 6pm we noticed some jet-skiers launch at the ramp downstream, and about a half hour later a ski boat launched as well. they were staying away from us so i lost intirest in them, but a little while later my freind noticed smoke coming from the ski boat in the middle of the river. at first i thought they just had a bad fuel mixture, but after a couple minutes the smoke turned black and then we seen flames! at that point i seen 2 folks jump overboard so i jumped in my boat and took off to see if i could help. and what were the jet ski'ers doing? absolutely nothing! they were right near this boat doing all their crazy little stunts and had no concern for the folks who just jumped overboard! by the time i reached the boat the only person in the boat had managed to put out the fire by soaking a sweater and throwing it on the flames. but what really upset me was there was a woman hanging on to the edge of this boat screaming for help with no life jacket and the jet-skiers just sat and watched or were dancing all around the boat!!!!! i pulled her out, and the other person who jumped over who was struggling to stay afloat (no life jackets). the woman was very upset and crying but was ok. after i managed to get them on board i went to see if the other guy still in the boat needed any help. a jet skier who wasnt part of the group managed to pull the boat back to the dock while i took the 2 passengers ashore. and what are these jerks doing now you may ask? they were all around us doing their antics totaly oblivious to the fact that 2 people almost drowned. it wasnt till after i got back to my fishing spot and retold my experience that i got really upset about those jet-skiers! i guess at the time i was more concerned about the people i pulled out. i got a good look at the jet ski's, they were brand new, and were pulled by some really high dollar SUV's. what is it about people with lots of wealth? they seem to care nothing about anyone but themselves!!!!

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    oh btw, fishing was very slow but did manage a 9 lb channel and a carp:big_smile:

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Dink - It really seems that jet skis and A-Holes go hand and hand! I often refer to jet skis as the scourge of the river, a fishermans worst friend. I don't want to bash everyone who has or uses a jet ski cause I know there are a few responsible operators out there but man there are more A-Holes on those things than I could ever imagine!

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Mike,

First off, Well Done my Brother Way to be there to help someone in their time of need.

Now, as for the jet skiers, I have learned that a lot of people, when they are out to have fun, leave their brains at home. Just remember to do right yourself, and all will be right with the world. *(As right as it can be on earth anyway)*

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dink, sounds like that stretch of river is just gonna get worse the closer to summer we get...Theres gonna be more and more of the idiots.

6. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Would have been all I could do to not grab a can of spray paint out of the truck and write on the side of their nice expensive SUV:

"Caution: inconsiderate prick... if your drowning don't ask me for help"

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Dopey jetskiers are a dime a dozen in my parts. Every year they are pulling another dead jetskier out of the water. It was real bad until the state required them to take the saftey course. But you can bet there will be another death by jetski this year.

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You guys did the right thing; God bless you!

Eric

9. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Way to go man. Makes

10. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Way to go man. It makes me glad there are never any jet skis in my favorite fishing holes.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its very sad that what i done has to be praised, it should be an automatic reaction that kicks in with everyone. sometimes i wonder about those types, the jet-ski'ers yesterday and the boaters that almost sank my boat goofing around. im starting to beleive that during their pursuit of wealth and rank, and the desire to WIN WIN WIN that they have lost something, or erased a part of themselves that makes them human beings. "blessed are the meek and poor, for they shall inherit the earth".....this statement is really starting to make sense to me!

12. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It has nothing to do with wealth and everything to do with breaking the law. Do you which law I'm talking about?

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they sure werent breaking any "human" laws. let me guess...the latter part of Romans 13:9?

14. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well it is good you were there to help them people out. As for the jetskiers what you said does not suprise me one bit. I think the first required thing to owning one is to be rude and selfish. I have only seen 2 or 3 jetskiers with any concern for others in all the years I have been fishing. Sad thing these days no one cares about the others. It is a everyday thing anymore.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I hate to stereotype, but when you say jet skier I immediately picture someone in their early twenties, or even younger. They haven't really lived long enough to warrant the luxury of a jet ski, and sure don't have to pass a responsibility test to purchase or operate one. One thing in their favor is if they live long enough, they'll outgrow their childish tendencies.

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It seems like a lor of people with jetski don't know anyhting about boating. My unlce has a house one the Lake of the Ozarks and people down there are crazy on jet skis. I've heard tons of horror stories about things that have happened to people. I went to high school with a kid who was in a jet skiing accident where they hit a boat. He was on the ski with his grandma. She was killed and he lost a leg. Another kid I went to school with hit the throttle thinking I don't know what and hit a seawall and broke his arm. Both of those incidents happened almsot 10 years ago. Now there are even more jetskis on the water.

17. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Quote from Dink, "that they have lost something, or erased a part of themselves that makes them human beings. "

I don't believe most of these people have ever been taught how to respect people on the water or anywhere else for that matter. I am one of those fortunate ones who was out on the water fishing with my dad since I could walk. And was able to learn by example.
    I was discussing this topic with a local conservation officer. He told me of many complaints that they recieve about boating idiots and the officers frustration in not being able to be at the right place at the right time.
    He told me that I had the perfect tool to help the situation. He then pointed out the digital camera that was in my tackle box. He asked me " does that do movie clips?" I told him it did. He told me anytime I saw these idiots to get it out and film them. I could either drop a disk off at their office along with time and date of incident, or e-mail it to them. They are able to zoom in on this footage and get registration numbers, ect. to help their case. And they will use it.
    I hope that some of you will take time to do the same.
    Cussing at them and wishing you had your trusty wrist rocket slingshot and a pocket full of marbles will not do anything to help the situation.
    ( although the wrist rocket and marbles would be a very tempting as well as satisfying alternative )

18. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dink, good deal on your actions and bad deal about the Jet Skiers actions. It doesnt suprise me as Ohio is a hotbed for inept breeding of rude inconsiderate folks. If you dont believe me, I can tell you that I travel all over the US for my work and it is apparent with the Buckeye brand of driving a car, it is truly the worst driving skills of anywhere in the country, no questions asked!! Now put these idiots ona motorized innertube and that spells even more trouble. Ive been involved one time about 10 years ago bass fishing on the back of my Ex wifes Uncles boat, a nice 30+ k bass boat as he used to tourney fish the Red Man trail etc. anyways were at Ceaser Creek fishing the island across from the main ramp on Rt 73. actually fishing jogs from the shore line back down the dropoff ledges so you know how close we are to the bank. anyways there are always a dozen jet skiiers in the area and we had 2 of them playing tag chasing one another actually run full tilt between us and the bank!! ( 30 feet maybe) and there not even looking around or apologizing just laughing and circling right behind us doing doughnuts so my buddy grabs a different rod with a 1 oz jog on it, tears off the skirt and send a couple of warning shots over there heads with a long hard musket like cast. He got about 3 good shots in all just missing them before they figured out he was "shooting to kill" so they beeline it back towards the ramp and by the time they were close to the ramp, we were right behind them doing about 60 mph and another bass boat also witnessed the whole thing and followed to also get a piece of them, anyways there scared to death so the one runs aground on the ramp with folks around launching at full tilt so the whole ramp is fired up now with angry folks as the other one went to the side of the ramp and beached and both parties, a young man and his girlfriend and another younger dude all ran full tilt up the hill to there cars. so we idle into the ramp and tell everyone what happened and I guess by then, the guilty folks had gotton ahold of a ranger who came down with them looking for us while we were waiting for them to return to there crafts and it was cool how about 30 people all told the same story about how they were the guilty party and it turns out the other boat that came over with us had been harrased by them as well so Im not sure what types of citations they got, but the ranger was busy ripping them to pieces and writing them up as he sent us on our way. The whole scene lasted about 15 minutes but it just goes to show you how stupid folks can be.
    They get ZERO respect from me.
    Salmonid

19. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Personally I hate jet ski's... I broke my tailbone on one out in the gulf of mexico... it hurt to sit down for nearly a year!:crazy:

20. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Needless to say that was the first and last time I ever got/get on one...

They just don't seem to land very well for some reason!