Jet ski/jon boat conversion

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Bill in SC, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Has anyone here ever put a jet ski engine/pump on an aluminum jon boat?
    I have scoured the web and found jet ski to jon conversions, but not using an aluminum boat. I am seeing more and more "good running" jet skis for sale in the $500 or less range. This might be a good alternative to buying a costly jet powered outboard, IF you can do all the fabrication yourself, which we can do if we had some plans.

Bill in SC

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my service manager has a stand up jet ski he is planning on mating to a 12 ft john:wink:

3. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    go to you tube and put in jet boat there is a lot there and go to ............. there is a section in the forum just for that

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the leads. If we can get some plans, I have an idea we might go for it.

BB in SC

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    BE A REDNECK!! WHO NEEDS A PLAN! hack er up and seal er up start er up and sink er up

6. I always, and still want to do that.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont see why you couldnt especially if you were to use one of the wave runners and a center console jon boat like the ones i have seen on the web. the stearing could be converted easily and the boat could probably handle the engine size and weight easily..

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    sent you a link Bill

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree, Jeffro. However, I will be starting with a semi expensive (which I don't have yet), WIDE jon with a THICK bottom. I will be putting her in some very rock areas. I don't want to hack up a nice boat incorrectly. I wanna get it right the first time. Most of the youtube stuff utilizes the jet ski body hybridized with the jon, resulting in a partial fiberglass bottom which would be unacceptable in the rocks. I did see some mounted directly in the jon, but none I have seen so far showed exactly HOW they did it.

Bill in SC

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the one i found bill looks like they moved the back seat forward and mounted the engine directly to the bottom, centered up and put the jet out the back. fairly simple rig from the looks. ill send you the link if i find one.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    check this one out
    [youtubevid]xnJI0cKLh5E[/youtubevid]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2009
  12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man, that one is awesome! I know there are trade offs and sacrifices, but I need to mount it somehow, enclosed under some sort of deck or bench so I can still have room to fish out of the back of the boat. Just trying to get pros and cons, and there is no plan cut into stone yet. Still have the jet outboard option, which might be LESS expensive in the LONG RUN. Also, the GoDevil type engines might be an option. Y'all keep bringing on the comments, suggestions, and links!

BB

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you had a wide enough boat, i dont see why after you rigged it simular to the one in the youtube link i sent you, you couldnt fabricate a deck boxing the engine in. if you are going to fabricate everything else, that would be no biggy... biggest issue is the width of the boat.

14. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    if you can find it there is one on you tube that has a deck built over the motor I'll try and find it again and give you the link for it may take me a bit though

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    and... the WEIGHT of the boat. Thanks for the reply Jeremy!

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    12 ft flat bottom with even small jet ski jet woule be blazing fast and id imagine somewhat dangerous..what kind of steering were you planning? oar?:smile2:

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am planning on a minimum of 16 foot 60 inches wide, Jeffro. I got folks that want to get to the "secret place", and I need ROOM! I assume that it will steer like any other jet.

Bill in SC

18. I seen somewhere a fella cut a large jetski in half in front of the intake and just mounted it right to the back of the transom, said it ran and steered great and left room in his boat.:eek:oooh:

19. A spoon.:smile2:

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    take an electric motor and put it on a pedal boat :eek:oooh: