Jet pump Lubrication?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shooter06, May 26, 2009.

1. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
    On the jet pump on my 55hp suzuki, there is a place to pump grease into the pump. Can someone tell me if I need a certain type of marine grease or just your standard grease will work? I bought this boat back in March and have only had it out twice. I read on the pump and it says to purge with grease after every use but it doesn't say which kind. I skipped one outing so I want to get grease in there before I take it out again this week. Thanks!

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've been using Quicksliver 2-4-C marine grease.on my jet pump. I'll give it a pump or 2 after taking the boat out of the water everytime.

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    630-AA Lubriplate grease is what is required, it is nothing like a any normal/marine grease , it is a very special grease, and very fluid to be able to pump threw the bearing and push any water out and not blow the seals out. I use something that is real close to what it is(OK to use a approved substitute by the manual) but don't have a cartridge to look at right now to tell you what it is(tried to open the gun up to take a look but that was a bad idea :smile2:) got it out of the Master Carr hardware catalog , when I find out what it is I will post a link for it:wink:

I would think the Jet Doctor would be able to get you the right stuff and gun or go to Outboard Jet and get it from them

taken from http://www.sschapterpsa.com/rambling...aintenance.htm EVERY TIME you run the boat & come back in for the day, freshwater or especially in saltwater, use the recommended low pressure grease gun & lube the impeller shaft's bearings that are located under the water pump. This is accomplished by removing the rubber hose/grease nozzle that is snapped onto the Zerk fitting close by. Some of the early units do not have this rubber tube but do have a 1/4" stainless round headed bolt that needs to be removed. Do not use a regular hand pump grease gun , but the tube type gun that has the Lubriplate tube attached for less pressure. Pump a couple of pumps, or until the Lubriplate grease starts to come out of the nozzle. Stop, wipe off the excess & replace the nozzle. This nozzle is merely a cap covering the Zerk fitting. On the opposite side of the unit as the grease fitting is a small hole in the base that is also a relief hole for the excess grease to be pushed out. It is imperative that you grease the unit each time it is used to be sure that IF any water has gotten inside, that the new grease will force the water out & not allow this water to stay trapped inside giving the chance of rust to start in the bearings when the boat & motor may set idle for a while.

4. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    LUBRIPLATE No. 630-AA, is an NLGI No. 1 lubricant Lithium-based grease which is what is required for a substitute .

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use the Lubriplate 630-AA with the low pressure pump fitting.

Attached Files:

6. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
    Appreciate the help! Thanks alot.

Do you know if I can get the low pressure pump and grease at my local automotive store? O'reilly's maybe?

7. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey Mike were the heck did you come up with that stuff,,, looked high and low for the stuff, other then going the jet doc or outboard jet corp.

I have been using Fuchs "lubritech" --- renolit syn 940---lithium synthetic grease. comes in a 14oz tube about $10 a tube, got to use a hand pump and take it real slow so as not to blow out the seal

8. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri

Ditto!!!

9. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
  10. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Also think what I had a hard time finding when i was look n for the stuff was the pump, didn't have time to mail order it when I needed it:wink:

11. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
    Do you know of a website where I can get a low pressure pump? I've searched, what seems like everywhere!

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
  13. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
  14. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Ya Mike I thought that I should have gotten one with the boat/engine but dealer/dealers part dept. said didn't know of one that came with the engine:confused2: and also didn't carry it on there shelves, what really bothered me was the dealers repair Dept. tech said to use std marine grease:crazy::confused2: :angry:

Michael thank's for the info and reps 2 ya

15. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
    Job Security! Have to think about the future you know!!!