jet prop problems?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by lendog, Jul 1, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i've been toyin with the idea of gettin rid of my fiberglass prop boat and gettin a alum boat with a jet:roll_eyes:, i have no experence with a jet prop. and was wondering what are some of the down falls/problems of owning a jet prop? thanks for the input:wink:

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Power loss, fuel consumption, steering control and sucking debree into the drive clogging it or sucking rocks breaking it- but you can tear up a prop the same way.

Tell ya what... if you fish small to medium, shallow rivers- they will open a whole new world of fishing spots for ya, it's the only way to go.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I run some skinny waters close to home here and therefore run a jet. If you fish water that's usually deep enough for a prop, I'd stick to a prop. You lose quite a bit of power and the fuel economy sucks with a jet, but when you truly need one they are the cat's meow.

The worst thing about a jet for me is when there's junk on the surface of the water it's easy to suck it up the jet and clog it up. When that happens you gotta lift up the motor and clean the grate. If you suck up a rock, you gotta pry it out with a screw driver.

I do love my jet and it's hilarious watching people grab a hold for dear life when you go scooting across 4" of water. :smile2:

4. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas

Hey lendog

The biggest difference I see is the steering, you have to have power or throttle to steer a jet, what i do with mine is after I get on plane, I ease back and save myself some power when i need it, if you dont you will run over a tree (((LMAO))) or up on the bank ((LOL)) mine is a flat bottom 18ft, more like a sled, it will run in about 10 inches of water, the impeller has a screen over it, I have never sucked anything up in it yet, you have to grease the bearing in the impeller every couple trips,
    I run over trees and sand bars with mine, ankle deep water,

it takes a little getting use to, trying to load it on the trailer with the wind blowing, because you have to give it power to steer it on to the trailer (((LMAO)) I just get it close and get wet ((LOL))) mine is a 90/65
    meaning that it is a 90 horse motor but after you install the jet you lose horse power to a 65 horse, believe me Lendog 65 horses is plenty ((LOL))
    it will run about 35 or 40 miles an hour, picture a big jet ski !!!!! :roll_eyes:

try it , I live right close to the Current River, they are great for rivers,

cliff

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks, the one i was lookin at was a 18' bass tracker with a 90 mercery jet, 78 inch beam. i've been on a jet ski before so know all about the steering issue, i run my fiberglass boat in the river now but would feel alot more confident with the jet, alot of sections are only a foot or two deep, i have a "mac's river runner" on my skeg now and that seems ta work pretty decent, but i always carry a couple spare props:wink:

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    If ya can stand putting the gas in them there great:roll_eyes: I love mine about the only problem is getting threw any weed patches and the getting them sucked up in the jet, not a real issue until you suck it up in a narrow canal with the water running 5+mph and having absolutely no power to control the boat:embarassed:. also sometimes with the geared lower unit it lets you know the sand bar is coming before there is no water to float the boat as you can see by the pic it gets pretty shallow before it lets you know :crazy: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63456&d=1244018080

If ya get one I would suggest getting a tunnel hull built for a jet . it helps protect the foot of the jet pump and will also give better turning performance with less cavitation :wink:

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Lenny,
    This will be my next boat, take a look at them there is lots of good info on here if you get one of these or not,,,:big_smile:
    Im pritty much sold on one, if you get one I will come up and we can test it out together..:wink:
    Puddle
    http://riverpro-boats.com/content/view/31/44/

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks for he info, i've seen those river pros last year those are awesome, if i had an extra 25 grand i'd be able to get up every creek in my area:wink:, i'm used to the gas mileage of my 40 hp prop, i'm hoping that a 90 hp jet isn't too bad

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had a 1999 tracker pro team 18 jet with the 120 hp mercury sport jet. I loved that boat. The only down fall is if you fish a shallow river you will suck up rocks eventually and these sport jets are a pain in the rear to clean rocks out of the pump. I end up limping back to the boat ramp and trailer it to clean it out. That is why I went to a berkeley jet it has a clean out you can get to from the inside. I would consider an outboard jet before I bought another sportjet for this very reason.

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks, this tracker isn't a sport jet, it has the outboard so i hope its a little more user friendly and less problems, i'm still up in the air if i want to take the plunge and get it, i'm sure i'll love it and the boat is a couple feet longer than my present boat, i should just stop weighing my options and get it over with already:wink:

11. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    You might look at my thread "Evolution of a shallow river boat" in the boat modification journal, I built myself a shallow river boat from a Lowe 1648 with a Mud Buddy. I run a river that is primarily sand bottom and did not want the jet drive because of the issue of sucking something in and killing the motor. On the river I run there is 30 miles to fish below the last ramp before reaching an impassable lowhead dam, so breakdowns below the ramp quickly turn into a major ordeal, with my old outboard we once carried that 1648 and all our gear 400yds and over a fence to get to a road. I owed my buddies that called to help a lot of beer for that one. There will be some prop wear with a motor like mine, and you probably won't get 30mph even with a bigger hp unit, but it will run in 3" over sand on plane and that lets me fish areas where I only see shocked canoers while I am out. I can also cross logs that stick out of the water 6 or 8 inches by powering the nose of the boat up on them and lifting the prop to let the back slide over. I can also idle and steer fine at low speed, I just don't have reverse. I just bought the rock guard kit but have not yet installed it to know how it works. I fish sand, but rocks may not be kind to my prop without the rock guard. I have 60 hours on my motor since buying it this spring and I am very happy with it so far. It definitely opened new fishing opportunities for me. Good luck with finding the right boat for your needs.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
  13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Lenny, if you really wanted to turn some heads and run shallow or even on land. think airboats. There is a couple guys around me that have them and tell you what thats the way to go.These guys are running open headers on a 454 chevy bigblock. The bottoms are beefed up bigtime and they will launch in the parking lot at the ramps and run the boat across the parking lot or grass and put in anywhere along the bank.

but if your comfortable with a jet and don't have anybody close to let you hop in for a ride or test drive. Let me know, I'll take ya out in mine and let you run it and see if you would like one. We have a lot of Hydrilla in the summer on the river here, When my intake gets clogged up, most of the times I can get away with either putting it in reverse and hitting the throttle or just tilt the motor up out of the water and it falls right out and I'm on my way again. I'm not saying it can't happen to where I can't get it out, but most times It's easy to unclog.

14. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas

I'd love to have one. I got the motor I wanted for the boat that I already had this time around. It works real well, and I hope to not have to replace it anytime soon. Someday when I start over I will probably go with a 1854 with a real short front deck and an open floor. I definitely want a walk thru center next time, my boat with the full center seat and the bait cooler to step over gets crowded.