Jet outboards

Discussion in 'Boating' started by MVFB52, Feb 3, 2008.

1. MVFB52

MVFB52 New Member

State:
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    What is everyone's opinion on jet outboards. Specifically for river fishing. I have heard that you can run them in shallower water, but can they handle the beating a motor can take river fishing and running up on sandbars?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I enjoy my jet....mostly river fish and have had no problems. The biggest problem you'll have running up on a sandbar is getting off of it if you have a heavy boat. Not likely you'll hurt the motor or jet at all.
    good luck
    mike

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think you'll hurt it. I have a mercury sport jet the problem I have is if you hit bottom you might get a rock jammed in the impeller, that sucks.

4. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    i love my jet i can boggie acrossed 2 inch of water. I dont thank beaching it will hurt it .. IF u suck a rock in it thats what hurts. the only thank i can say is get a light boat. 60 hp motor is a good ideal if u run in the fall it will chew up leaves pretty good for you. Mercury is what i got. make sure u got 3 ft of water before u get on plane thats when people suck rocks. i will all way have a jet. Look at a blazer it is so light 60 hp will make it run 34 mph up river that is great. i can really run in 1/2 inch no problem. Plus dont get a 4 stroke engine not the thottle respone to boggie across the bars.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i love mine i have a 1756 G3 duck jon with a 60/40 merc. 2 stroke jet..I can go anywhere. i have beached it, but from stupidity. they will go darn near anywhere...rollo