Jet outboard?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Bigfish18, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I have a 16ft Bass Tracker PF ( mod vee flatbottom). It had a 25hp engine on it that would get it up on plane fast, and it would go as fast as I needed to go. Now I have a 40hp on it and it is nasty fast.

Would the 40hp converted to a jet 40/25 push my boat?
    My boat has a 40hp max engine size. Does that mean I could run a 60/40jet and not get in any trouble?

I would like to hear from some outboard jet owners on this one.

Thanks
    Cody Forshee

2. Skimmer

Skimmer New Member

State:
    Va.
    If you were satisfied with the performance of the 25 I think you would be fine with converting the 40 to a jet. That would be the cheapest option, but not sure if you will be pleased going back to a 25 after knowing what a 40 runs like. Check out outboardjets.com for help on conversion and setup. I am new to outboard jets but I love mine.

Attached Files:

• boat.JPG
      boat.JPG
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't have any experience with jet conversions, but I'd like to ask of some of you who know:

1: Will the conversion work on any flat bottom boat, or does the hull need a bottom designed for a jet?

2: I know there is a loss of power, but will the 40/25 still get on plane and run like the 25 hp two stroke?

We have a couple of jets at work, but I've never had reason to use any of them. With the drought conditions we're experiencing, that may change soon. :wink: Thanks for any info.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am on my second jet. My first was an old 40/25 on a 1654 jon which pushed it approx 25 mph. I now have a 115/80 on a 2072 that pushes 25-27. Rollo has a newer forty and I am guessing (by folowing) that it goes 30 mph.
    I don't know the true answer, but an educated guess, being as mine is rated for a 115, is that that the power at the head is what counts, although I might be tempted. A lot of it depends on weight and the solidity of the boat. (sorry for the non answer)

A jet will work on any flat bottomed and some modified Vee's. I have never run a 25 2 stroke prop on a 16 footer, but youcan see what a 40 jet does on a 16 footer and compare with your experiences with a prop.

I will say that a jet gives you a whole new prospective on boating. I now look for those places others can't go. There is a whole lot less competition for spots and people look at you in awe when you tell them what section you were fishing.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Very interesting fellas, I have often thought about going to the jet, for the small river I mainly fish and we head to reelfoot lake a few times a year, that is where I first got to run a buddy's. I never realized what you are saying, so am I correct in the 40/25, being a 40hp at the engine and 25 hp power at the jet? is this the correct understanding on this set up? I currently am running a 25 h Merc prop that i like good engine (no problems with it) on a 16' flat bottom riverjon, to get the same that boat would need a 40hp jet on it? This is interesting info, thanks.

6. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

That is correct. With that 40/25 you could go "where no man has gone before"

From a fishing standpoint, if 9 out of ten boats can't get there, isn't it a given that the fishin will be better?

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I have a Lowe catalog here in front of me. The hp rating on their 1655 tunnel is asterisked/footnoted as follows:

"Net jet hp rating applies against capacity plate, not powerhead hp".

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm not a tunnel hull fan at all but if I was going with a jet I would have to go all the way .
    Tunnel hull and a hydraulic jack plate.
    With that combination even the draft of the hull is not always a limiting factor with someone that knows how to use it.

You can take that combination and go over some sandbars by slowing down, letting the wake over take you and then ride the wake across the sandbar.

The tunnel is going to allow you to raise the motor higher then the bottom of the boat because the of the raised water column coming out of the hull.
    At higher speeds that column will raise higher. Thats where the hydraulic jack plate comes in. You can raise the motor even further.

One of the major problems with buying a tunnel hulled boat is that little to no engineering is put into them. A tunnel is more then just a box afixed to the bottom of the boat like most manufacturers seem to think.
    Tunnels arent for every boat as they do cause instability. Some boats dont have any stability to give up. Others may have plenty to spare.

Heigth, width, length, and angle are all important to optimize a tunnel to a hull.
    For the most part these are found in custom built boats, not manufactured hulls.

Those guys building boats for the Florida flats have the tunnels figured out.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree. The tunnels I've seen are crude, and that's putting it nicely.

10. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    My SeaArk doesn't need a tunnel. I slide my boat sideways all the time to get that extra push of water under the hull. I have a 20 foot boat with a 115 on it. The 115 is close to 500lbs and the boat is close to 1500, meaning if I stop on an obstruction, I am waiting for the next flood. This last time I took it out I went through 1-2 INCHES of water over about 25 yards. My jet is basically even with the bottom of the boat. What I need is a little more speed and pods to improve my buoyancy at lower speeds. I have heard that tunnel hulls do not operate well with a modified vee.

Oh, and incidentally, that going over sandbars, if it is gravel, I don't recommend it. I am currently waiting for a new impeller and have to get a ne tranducer for my rig.

Anyone know if gorilla glue is waterproof? Can I use it to glue my transducer to the bracket?

Maybe I DO need a tunnel lol!

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my last boat before i bought the 60/40 jet was a 25hp. tiller motor on an 18ft. jon..had no problem with it besides of the inabilitly to run certain sections of river in low water. :roll_eyes: now that im having flashbacks...man i love my jet!:smile2: rollo

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good info, Shawn. Thanks
    As for repairing your transducer, I repaired one with some Devcon high strength Plastic Welder that I found at walmart in the section with other adhesives. It worked really well, so far, but it is on a 14' jon boat and doesn't see a lot of use or abuse. Might be worth your time. Since I don't use that boat a lot, I decided to attempt repair before spending the money for a new transducer.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    With glue look for terms like water resistant.
    Unless the formulation has changed for gorilla glue in the last few years it was water resistant not water proof.

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes I have also used that product on my transducer mount, run it on a 17' LANDAU RIVER jon with 25 Mrc and it has done fine for the past year, would be worth your time I think, altho I have snapped it off twice from sliding a log on the river :eek:oooh: that just *%%** me off, but what can ya do,,,LOL, guess I need to have one machined out of stainless, maybe able to keep it there for a hole year. LOL. oh yea, have a design for a spring load on a transducer need to find a developer for it :roll_eyes:

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Shawn, I wouldnt be tackling too many rocks below or above water with that aluminum barge you go there buddy.
    Aluminum and rocks are like oil and water.:crazy:
    I tried to sell you on that 20x8 that could take it with alot less horsepower but fast enough to keep you changing your shorts.

Them Ohio boys dont have shaller water figured out, the Florida Flats boys do.
    You want to run dry land, they'll show you how.:wink:

16. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey, I have a LIFETIME warranty against puncture. I'll hammer it until I need a new one. That's what it's built for!

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey mark, come on over if the water gets shallow next year...i will show you what a shallow flat is!!:wink: and a flat! rollo:smile2:

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Maybe, maybe not.

I've wondered about this, and sorta wish I'd gone without the tunnel.

The increased powerhead weight of a jet needs all the buoyancy it can get, and that's exactly what you give up with a tunnel. This, btw, is why you don't see many tiller jets...too much weight concentrated in the stern. The pods would certainly help, as would trim tabs, but I really hate the idea of adding tabs to correct poor weight distribution.

19. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I thought about tabs but don't see where they would help me at idle, where with pods, those extra inches are very meaningful in a shallow stretch.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It aint a shallow flat unless its ankle deep at 30 MPH with the minefield of mango stumps thrown in.
    We're not talking about 10 or 20 or even a 100 feet of this condition, we're talking miles of it in either direction.

They aint running flats with aluminum.
    The first consideration of running a boat in skinny water is weight.
    Shedding weight, not adding more weight.

When you start shedding those pounds you can also start shedding horsepower which further drops the overall weight of the rig and the cost. (always a favorable proposition)

Yes, a 20'x8' will do 30 MPH with a 25 horse in ankle deep water.
    You aint going to do it with a kitchen sink though.

With the tunnel on your boat, you could raise your motor higher and probally not have to replace near as many impellors.:wink: Thats the whole idea. Right now even though youv've cleared the bottom of the hull with the motor, you are still plowing taters .