Jet Motors

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by djlabs, Oct 5, 2005.

1. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    I am looking at a jet boat and I am getting conflicting info one guy tells me that I need to get a tunnel hull boat to give the motor proper water to perform right the other guy tells me that Lowe told him that they are no longer making tunnel hulls because the motor does not get adequate water and the tunnel adds drag and it will not perform.I would like some input on this matter if anyone has tried one way or the other or if you have been around them to know I have never owned a jet drive and don't want to make a purchase I regret. THANKS

2. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I recently talked to a local dealer and was told you don't need a tunnel hull with a jet motor. The idea behind the tunnel is to get the prop higher in the water. Supposedly the jet intake doesn't hang down as far as a prop set up. Ponykilr has probably done some research on this. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    you don't need a tunnel hull to run a jet. i run an 80 jet without a tunnel hull
    i love it 3" of water i'm gone you do drop some speed but you will go back in places most boat can't get too. and that can be a great thing

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've posted on this before but put short and sweet. Dont buy a tunnel hull without researching tunnel hulls first or test driving a few.
    I myself detest them in any current such as rivers.
    They dont add to performance but take away from it.
    No matter what any dealer says there is no perfect tunnel.

5. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    Thanks for the info guys I will definately take this into consideration when I buy.
    Just out of curiosity what would be a good size jet for a boat like a Lowe 1960 I have found one that has a 90horse motor which if I am figuring right would be 65 HP at the jet , is this going to move me good and any rough idea of how fast it would go ? If this is not a good combo what would you recommend?
    Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well alot will be on how much weight it in you boat i would say around on the avg 35 to 40. i run an 80 jet on a 20' smoker craft and can hit 45 to 50 mph. but its not how fast you get there. its the places you can go where other boat can't. its like having an air boat with lots of room and half the noise.

7. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i would not run a tunnell hull with a jet,i have a 1860g3 with the yamaha 65hp jet drive on it and i'm really happy with the setup.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The main ingredient to running in skinny water is not in the motor or a tunnel in the hull.
    The first ingredient would be the hull itself. The flatter the bottom, the skinnier she gets with less motor which I'll pick back up on.
    The second ingredient is weight. If you want to run skinny you got to have a light boat which often means you are stepping over ribs in the floor cause these real skinny water boats dont come with a floor.
    Now back to that motor. I have seen and can point you to pictures of a 20x8 flat bottomed boat built for nothing but skinny water.
    She draws an inch of water if that and runs 25-30 MPH with a 25 horse motor. The lightweight design of the hull plus a hull design that allows for a small motor makes this boat able to run wide open in ankle deep water.

Start adding up the weight of every single thing in your boat including fuel.
    Once you add up everything add your own weight.
    Now if you want to run skinny, go on a diet and leave all that stuff you just weighed at home.
    Aluminum aint light enough for a skinny boat.

There is no middle ground when you start talking about making a boat go in shallower water.
    Either you go skinny or you waste alot of money on an engine to put on the back of a boat not capable of running skinny whatever you did to it.

It's kinda like some of these dumb teenagers you see now. They have a car worth maybe 1000 bucks. The stereo in it is worth 5000 and the wheels and tires another 2000.
    Any way you want to cut it, the car aint even worth the 1000 they paid for
    it.

One other thing to think about is when you run shallower your odds increase of hitting underwater objects not decrease. The right hull material is imperative or you have a 1000 dollar car with 7000 dollars worth of add ons .
    Kevlar would be a top choice to incorporate into such a hull.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well their are lots of boats for jets with floors now I just got my smoker craft american angler sportman series 20'. their new flooring is 250lbs less then the old one. high sides tons of room and they say will run on 1" of water . I have been in 3" of water with it .As for hitting thing I rebuild my lower unit last year in my old boat. I hit something under water when i was runningin about 25'. and I know that grizzy has a 20' with flooring i saw that at basspro before i got my boat. just something to look in too.drop me an email i can send pic's over to you of the smoker craft. or check on there web site tracker has the grizzy

10. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    Thanks for all the input, now we have another question...
    We were talking to a dealer last night and he mentioned that if you have a muddy river bottom or sand or fine gravel that the jet will plug up and you will have to replace the impeller and it may leave you stranded. He also told us to plan on replacing the jet impeller every year. Any comments or experience with these issues. Also what do the impeller's cost roughly? We plan on using this boat for duck hunting as well as fishing so we get into a lot of mud and want to make sure we will be ok to make this change.
    Also the dealer told us that if we have winds of over ten miles per hour that the jet will cavitate due to the waves and you will have no control.

Thanks again!

PS - sorry to ask so many questions but we are looking at a Lowe 1960MTC with a 2-cycle 65hp jet on it and since that motor isn't being made anymore, we have to make a decision quickly!

11. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Have you looked into a mud motor? I don't really know anything about them, but I've seen quite a few duck boats with them.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I Have a buddy who run a 65 jet for three years now thats one of the reasons i when to a jet. we run muddy waters alot and only have one time when it stopped and that was to much grass. but it will come right out just put the motor out of the water. we both clean them out after every use. i have a 55 gallon drum cut in half set it up over the intake fill with water and start it up run it slow. he hasnt had any troubles in three years . i run alot of mud and sand flats sometime 3 or 4 " of water so far i havnt had any thing help with mind.

jets are getting harder to come by until the new 4 storcks come out in 2007 if not sooner. maybe someone around they has one that you can run first check with the dealers around you. as for me i love mind an will never run anything but a jet again on my boats. i been out in big winds 10 mph if not more and hard rain it may slow you down some but it will still go

13. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    Thanks for the info Tim, that is just what we needed to know. We have looked at the mud motors but decided that since we also fish, we needed something more versatile. Well now we have a boat for sale so that we can buy the one with jet motor - Anyone interested just let us know!
    Thanks everyone!

14. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    djlabs Hello, If you want to know about this send me your ph in a private e-mail. I think I can save you a bunch of money. I have owned and opperated all of these options, including building a tunnel boat. There are a lot of variables and it would be a big post and you would just have more questions. It's up to you!

15. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Update !!!!!!!!read this then email me meemihttp://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/boatcrs/jet/jetboard.htm

16. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    OK - now we have the new boat with the 65hp Mercury, 2-cycle jet motor on it and in some ways we really like it and in other ways we hate it so we are trying to figure out if the motor has a problem or if anyone has a suggestion to eliminate the issues we are having.

1st - we were running full speed, down the middle of the river - clean, deep water and suddenly the engine quit pumping cooling water

2nd - the jet intake sucked up four small leaves and plugged up instantly, we had to shut off the motor and clean out the intake before it would run again, and even then it was not giving me proper output for cooling.

3rd - the thing only runs twenty-eight mph top speed with two men and no gear in the boat. We are running this motor on a Lowe 1960MTC. The boat has a fixed, raised transom that the motor is mounted to instead of a jack plate - supposedly Lowe engineered it for this boat and motor combination.

Any suggestions? We would appreciate any input we could get from you guys.

Thanks!

17. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    is the motor new or used?

18. djlabs

djlabs New Member

State:
    MO.
    crome, It is a 2005 2 cycle with about 15 hours on it and I talked to the shop where it was purchased and they had just serviced the motor a few days before I picked it up, they are telling me not to worry about no water at the indicator hole but to trust that if the motor gets hot that it will alarm out on high temp they say that all the water could be bypassing to the exhaust but I don't know if I buy this.I am putting a water pressure gage on it tonight but I still feel that there is a problem.

19. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Djlabs,it sounds like your impeller needs to be moved down into the liner abit more,from the way you talked about the leaves clogged up the intake and no real speed.As far as no water at the indicator hole,take it back and tell them to fix it,that you want it right!